Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old beagle/husky mix sleeps in a crate at night. For the past few weeks, he's been waking up between 3:30 - 4 am. We started ignoring this and he generally goes back to sleep after a few minutes. But then he will wake up an hour to an hour and a half later, and we usually get up to let him go out to the bathroom at that point. Any suggestions on how to get him to start waking up on our schedule so we don't have to get up so early? Is this just a puppy issue that he will outgrow? Besides giving him a lot of exercise in the evenings, which we do, are there any other suggestions to get him to sleep longer?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
As long as he doesn't have to go potty, ignoring is your best option. Eventually he will learn that nothing he does will get the humans up. Also, I've found that my dog tends to sleep longer if the room is dark. Blackout curtains are a cheap option to keep out the early morning sunshine! Otherwise, dogs tend to wake up when its light out, it seems.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Also a crate cover; mine sleeps longer if the cover is completely closed; it covers the crate and has a zippered door on front, door down at night up in day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
what time do you go to bed to sleep? at 6 months most dogs should be able to hold it till morning before you go to bed for good take him out to do his business even if he doesn't go just enforce the trip with whatever you use its peepy time i use peepy poppop time to cover it all fyi my pup hated the crate and he did well without it after 6 months

·
Registered
549 Posts
I let my puppy free in our room at night after she was spayed at 7 months and we've all been sleeping much better since. She was also making noise in her crate and waking me up in the middle of the night... now she just sleeps until 6-6.30am.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts