Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a pitbull about 8 years old.
About 2-3 weeks ago we noticed that when she runs/walks she was drifting...it worsened a bit that she would be hitting the car due to her loss of balance. She couldn't balance on her two hind legs when she jumped up against a wall,she fell over on herself.

So we carried her to the vet. Said all her vitals etc were normal so he gave her a worm out shot and some antibiotics and steroids. She immediately showed improvements and she was back to normal within two days. In fact from that very same day she showed improvements. By the next day she was back to herself again.

He prescribed some steroid tablets along with some vitamins for her. She was fully recovered from her situation during the course of the medication.

Today all the symptoms came back after finishing the medication prescribed to her about 2 days ago.
Now this time she has a slight head tilt to the right.

Besides the symptoms, she's her normal self personality wise, no loss of appetite or anything.

What can be the cause of this?
Should we start her back on the medication?
I'm really lost now and I have no clue what to do/what could be wrong with her.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Take her back to the vet (or even a different vet, if you want another opinion) for a more thorough exam. Have her ears checked for any infections, and ask about vestibular syndrome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take her back to the vet (or even a different vet, if you want another opinion) for a more thorough exam. Have her ears checked for any infections, and ask about vestibular syndrome.
He said meds should have cleared up everything if it was vestibular syndrome...and that it's most likely a brain tumor.
I want to have blood work done but he said it won't show anything if it was a brain tumor...

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I would get a second opinion. I"m no vet, but I was under the impression that vestibular disease isn't necessarily caused by something that can be cleared up by antibiotics. If its an ear infection causing the issue, yeah, but can't it also be caused by a head injury or a stroke or something, which wouldn't be that uncommon in an older dog. It can also just be a thing that elderly dogs get, and it doesn't go away, but it can be managed with medication.

So, yeah, if the vet isn't offering any other advice, I would get a second opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would get a second opinion. I"m no vet, but I was under the impression that vestibular disease isn't necessarily caused by something that can be cleared up by antibiotics. If its an ear infection causing the issue, yeah, but can't it also be caused by a head injury or a stroke or something, which wouldn't be that uncommon in an older dog. It can also just be a thing that elderly dogs get, and it doesn't go away, but it can be managed with medication.

So, yeah, if the vet isn't offering any other advice, I would get a second opinion.
Unfortunately i'll have to wait until sometime next week to have a second opinion done since we have to get a referral letter from the vet to then carry to the hospital. Then they'd give us a day to bring her in. Today I noticed that her leg muscles tense up and relax repeatedly when she stands still. She hasn't lost her appetite or anything though.

However about 2 days before her symptoms came back, our Rottweiler who is also her age fell ill. She's been vomiting alot and hasn't been eating much. She's losing weight as well. The vet put her on antibiotics and some other meds but it hasn't done anything really for her. She's walking around like normal without any issues but she's not herself. Today she had a buildup of mucus in her right eye. I wasn't sure if it was because today was a cold day (It was really rainy today) or it had to do with her symptoms.

I'm worried that it may be distemper(It's very strange to me that both of them are now ill together). There is an outbreak in the southern part of the country that claimed the lives of dogs on an entire street according to reports. I however live up north and haven't been to south in over a year. She hasn't been shaking or anything like the dogs i've seen with distemper on youtube though.

Seeing that today is Saturday and it's currently 7:31PM where I live (Trinidad) there aren't any clinics opened until Monday. All we can do right now is keep giving them their vitamins until we can get the referral letter from the vet who also doesn't open until Monday.

@Spicy1_VV Sorry I don't have any videos of her nor have I have her tested for any of those things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Quick update
We just fed the Rott some wheat biscuits along with her vitamin tablets and she ate up every single one of them. She looked more like her lickerish self from before lol. She seems more alert also.

The pitbull however is still wobbly and uncoordinated in her walking. But its not bad to the point where she's falling over on herself while walking. She's not walking around in circles or anything either. She can still get herself where she needs to on her own no probs.

I didn't mention this but the pitbull had bloodwork done earlier this year (Around March) and everything looked normal. If she did have a brain tumor would it have shown from back then in her blood test (Maybe high white blood cell count?)

There is absolutely no way in Trinidad to have a brain tumor in animals confirmed since there are no CT scans available for them.

The pitbull is healthy otherwise...just the coordination/balance issues she's having.
Would the steroids that she was on cleared up Vestibular disease if she had it?
She was perfectly fine during the 2 weeks she took the steroid tablets until they finished and her symptoms came back.

Like I said before...won't have any vets opened till Monday so i'm sorry if i'm overwhelming you all with questions lol

EDIT: Just peeked out the window to see the pitbull laying down on her side. Noticed her breathing...it's abnormal. Tried to record it but it's dark and i'm not capturing it well on video.

Her inhalation and exhalation is a bit weird. She's stuttering during her inhalation as well as her exhalation.

Also just checking my dates. The 21st of September is when we first noticed her symptoms and she received the antibiotic shot followed by steroid pills. When they finished this week her symptoms came back on the 5th of October.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I mean, it could be distemper, but there are other common diseases that can cause those symptoms in your Rott, none of them particularly serious. Are your dogs vaccinated for distemper? If they are, there is a very low chance of infection. I would keep your dogs separate from other dogs, though, just in case, so they don't spread it. Again, I'm not vet, but she's an older dog and it could just be something that will need medication for the rest of her life and can't be cleared up by a single course of medication.

Hopefully you can get in to the vet soon, though, and they can figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I mean, it could be distemper, but there are other common diseases that can cause those symptoms in your Rott, none of them particularly serious. Are your dogs vaccinated for distemper? If they are, there is a very low chance of infection. I would keep your dogs separate from other dogs, though, just in case, so they don't spread it. Again, I'm not vet, but she's an older dog and it could just be something that will need medication for the rest of her life and can't be cleared up by a single course of medication.

Hopefully you can get in to the vet soon, though, and they can figure out what's going on.
The vet opened today. Confirmed its not distemper.
He listened to her(Rott) abdomen with the stethoscope and said that when she's breathing something doesn't sound right inside her. He wrote up the referral letter for her to get an xray and blood work done at the hospital.

WRT Pitbull. The reason why she had bloodwork done a few months back is because she would still menstruate even though she had been spayed like 5 years ago. Earlier this year she was bleeding heavily. But the xrays confirmed that part of her womb was still in her which was causing the bleeding. The bloodwork didnt show anything abnormal either. They doctor at the hospital however removed the remaining part which solved her menstruating problem.
The vet said it could have been cancer because her uterus and cervix had some bumps when he spayed her (5 years ago). He said that it could have spread which is what is causing her to be like how she is now.

Will have to see what the blood work shows this week for her as well.
The thing that confused me earlier this year is that he said it could've been cancer. I was thinking if she had cancer 5 years ago when she was spayed, she would've been terminally ill when she had the bloodwork done. I don't think a dog can go 5 years untreated for any kind of cancer.

For now she's back on the meds she was on before her symptoms came back.
Will contact the hospital Tomorrow to make arrangements for both of them to come in and have bloodwork done/Xrays.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts