Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My name is Ali, my husband and I are currently in the hunt for the right breed for us and I thought informed dog owners on this forum could be a big help! I grew up with miniature Schnauzers and my husband grew up with springer spaniels. We love both breeds, but I am allergic to dogs that shed like the springer and he wants something larger than a mini schnauzer. We own our own home and we live in an area with a giant lake and tons of awesome nature trails to jog on. We have done some research and found a breed we really like, but I wanted to see if there are any breeds we are missing.

Our priorities:
Non shedder (I'm also usually allergic to "hybrid's" with a fur (rather than hair) parent mixed in)
Active enough to hike and jog with us
Intelligent
Gentle with children (we don't have any, but our neighbors do)
Eager to please
30-60 lbs

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
How about a Giant Schnauzer or Standard Poodle? I am not sure about the actual weight of these two breeds. I am sure there are many of them in rescue or shelters or there are good responsible breeders you could contact to learn more about them. They do however require a bit of grooming.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hello & welcome to DF alidangerfield. My first thought was a Standard Poodle. They are active dogs & were bred to fetch water birds, there's also the Portugese Water Dog. Like someone said on another forum it's not the fur/hair that causes the allergy but the dog's saliva. Like Abbylynn said they do need regular grooming. Some people are still allergic to the so called non-shedding/allergy free dogs. If you can go to breed specific dog shows & see which dogs you don't react to would be the way to go.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I second the standard poodle suggestion. You don't have to put them in show cuts, which are a turn off for a lot of people. I think a schnauzer might not be the right temperament for you, going from what you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts