Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to be the best possible pet owner to my girls, and sometimes I miss things. In this case how crazy they were getting with their bones they love so much. As a result Sally has a fracture on each of her premolars and JackJack has one fracture on her left premolar. The vet I took them to was not their normal vet, the practice recently switched ownership. She wanted to extract both premolars. I don't know what the best option is and I have no idea where to begin to look for a doggy dentist. HELP!!!!!!!

Much thanks and appreciation from a worried pet mom

·
Registered
868 Posts
From what I've seen extraction is probably the cheaper option. I think you can get root canals for them depending on the fracture, but many times people just elect to have it removed all together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does having them extracted, make eating more difficult to them or have any sort of negative impact on their lives? I know obviously that leaving them in as damaged as they are can of course cause greater problems. I just want to try to get a better idea of things overall. They have an appointment in about a week or so to have another look before making a final decision.

From what I've seen extraction is probably the cheaper option. I think you can get root canals for them depending on the fracture, but many times people just elect to have it removed all together.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am pretty sure they just learn to chew without them, kind of like an adult who has a wisdom tooth or something pulled, it heals and you forget about it. As for bones and such though try switching to rob bones or non weight bearing bones for them to chew on :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts