Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to connect with people who have experienced what my Queensland is going through. Fluids around the lungs in the chest cavity... She has been on Proin 50 for 2 months...wondering if there is a correlation.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
This is something to discuss with your veterinarian.

If it makes you feel better, fluid build-up around the lungs (the medical term is pleural effusion) was not reported as an adverse side effect in any clinical trials of Proin, and I couldn't find any case studies reporting it as a side effect either. Which doesn't necessarily mean that the proin isn't related to the fluid build-up, just that it is not commonly reported. However, most clinical trials exclude patients with additional medical conditions other than the one being studied/targeted. There are valid scientific reasons for excluding medically "complex" patients, but as soon as they're deemed effective and safe, most drugs/procedures are automatically used in the diverse "real world" patient population who may have all kinds of additional conditions or diseases that weren't observed in patients in the trial. Which means, although researchers/doctors can make an educated guess as to how some patients are going to respond to a drug based on how it acts in the body, but they don't actually know until it is used.

ETA: which is just a long-winded ramble to say: based on the scientific literature, it's unlikely that the prion is related, but not impossible and also I'm not a vet so please discuss your worries with someone who is. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts