Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all my name is DesMarie, my family which consists of my 8 year old son and loving boyfriend have recently just rerescued an approxiamately 9 month old golden lab. A friend of ours found "Gunner" tied up and tangled in his leash in our winter weather, upon finding his owner who no longer wanted him and obviously neglected him, he decided to take him but could not offer him a permanent home. We had our application at thelocal humane society and had been awaiting to find a dog that would mesh with our family and that our landlord would allow and then Gunner came along!! So on with my question. Gunner thankfully was already housebroken, and even being in a new environment he has not had a single accident and has adjusted to a feeding/sleeping/voiding scheduled that works for us as well. We walk him to school with kiddo in the morning and then im also able to walk him again in the morning before i leave for work by noon. Hes left alone at that time until we get home around 530. So I was wondering how to go about trusting him to be alone in are large apartment without having to be kenneled and without having to worry that he is chewing up anything other than his toys?? I would appreciate any feedback or if this was discussed somewhere else then please direct me there.

·
Registered
948 Posts
When you're there with him loose in the apartment, how often do you have to take something away from him or redirect him away from where he shouldn't be?

When the answer to that question is, "I don't remember the last time he picked up something he shouldn't have," he'll be ready for trials, like short trips to the grocery store.

Sounds like a great puppy, finding each other was good luck for both of you.

how bout some pics?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! We are very lucky he's a pretty well behaved little Guy,just have a few issues to train him on and I think he will get the hang of it in no time. He does spectacular while we are there,I've had to correct him when he tries to get on the sofa and he's gone after socks but immediately listens. Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
Like suggested, small trials are a start. Even just leaving the dog loose while you take a shower or spend a few minutes outside is a first step. I tested my foster dog with 10 minutes loose while i was in the shower and she chewed off part of a door frame :)

Assume that every single thing you have to correct him on is something he will happily go at while you are gone.

Don't jump too quickly to letting the dog loose. It sounds like he's got about 6 hours max in a crate which is just fine for a 9 month old large breed dog. Crate training is very useful for travelling, vet care, and new environments. Remember that the dog is safe in the crate and unless you trust him 100%, he isn't quite as safe out in the house.

One way to transition is to puppy proof a room a much as possible and allow access only to that room. Not everyone has the space, but some find a large bathoom (cabinets baby-locked) as a stepping stone. I'm lucky enough to have a finished porch that doesn't really have any furniture and has tile floors (now with bonus damaged door molding!) as a "safe" area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts