Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I'm Jeremy, just recently adopted a beautiful Siberian Husky from the local animal shelter. She is about 10 months old. Her name is Holly according to the shelter, we're working on renaming her to Remi. Not sure on her weight but she is on the skinny side right now as the old owners left her tied up in a backyard then moved away. Atleast that's the story from the shelter. She is very timid right now and does not like to be alone. She loves playing. Weird thing is she hasn't barked or growled once when playing or not. Doesn't even bark at other dogs when going on a walk. She is very well house trained and has great manners when inside.

Only problem I'm having is she won't eat the food that the shelter provided. They gave me a bag of science diet and she won't touch the stuff. Even when mixed with soft food she pushes around it and licks it but only eats the chunks of meat in the soft food. I'm going to go to the store today and get her some different food to try out.

Also going to pick up a kid pool for her to play in as I saw her splashing around and walking in her water bowl. Hope she starts eating and gains her weight back.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Congratulations and thank you for rescuing her! She's very pretty! Welcome to the forum as well!

Siberians don't bark really. In that sense they're pretty quiet dogs.

As for eating - science diet is a pretty bad food and siberians are extremely picky eaters and are also known to have sensitive tummies. I'd say put her on a good high quality, grain free food. Siberians also don't eat as much as other dogs - so if you give her 2 cups of food per meal an it only see her eating half of that - it's par for the course for a Siberian.
Also, many siberians LOVE playing in water! She'll love the pool!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations and thank you for rescuing her! She's very pretty! Welcome to the forum as well!

Siberians don't bark really. In that sense they're pretty quiet dogs.

As for eating - science diet is a pretty bad food and siberians are extremely picky eaters and are also known to have sensitive tummies. I'd say put her on a good high quality, grain free food. Siberians also don't eat as much as other dogs - so if you give her 2 cups of food per meal an it only see her eating half of that - it's par for the course for a Siberian.
Also, many siberians LOVE playing in water! She'll love the pool!
Thanks for the insight. I wasn't sure about the barking since I've never owned this breed before. Always had Rots and a pitbull growing up. I'm trying to give her 1/2 to 3/4 cup each meal. One in the morning and one at night. I'll try to find some better food tonight. Any recommendations? Growing up my mom would always buy the cheapest food there was for our dogs so I don't know much about different brands of food.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You're welcome :) siberians are my breed of choice so you can always find me and send a message if you ever have questions.

Yeah they're quiet in that they don't bark. They howl - but can learn to bark from other dogs. They also "talk" and that means they usually will let you know when they're excited happy or upset with a lot of "woo woo" and howling :p

Id get a weight on her first if you can. You said she's skinny (from the one picture of her body she doesn't look too bad) but siberians are just very lean dogs. They should weigh between 30 and 50 pounds. If you can get a height at her shoulders I can give you a better idea of what she should probably weight.

As for food a lot of it is preference. I feed Acana Pacifica - which is a grain free, fish based kibble. I've noticed that siberians prefer the fish based kibbles (their diet when originally bred by the Chukchi people was primarily fish). It's also good because of the omega 3's and 6's. Other foods are orijen, blue buffalo, if you have a costco - I hear their brand of food is pretty good.
Go to dogfoodadvisor.com and look up 4 or 5 star dog foods if they're within your price range.

A higher quality kibble will mean that she won't have to eat as much of it either. I feed 1-1.5 cups a day of Acana to my girl and she's 50 pounds. My 15 pound bag of food lasts almost 2 months (we have three dogs). A 30 pound bag of food lasts almost 5 months - to give you an idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're welcome :) siberians are my breed of choice so you can always find me and send a message if you ever have questions.

Yeah they're quiet in that they don't bark. They howl - but can learn to bark from other dogs. They also "talk" and that means they usually will let you know when they're excited happy or upset with a lot of "woo woo" and howling :p

Id get a weight on her first if you can. You said she's skinny (from the one picture of her body she doesn't look too bad) but siberians are just very lean dogs. They should weigh between 30 and 50 pounds. If you can get a height at her shoulders I can give you a better idea of what she should probably weight.

As for food a lot of it is preference. I feed Acana Pacifica - which is a grain free, fish based kibble. I've noticed that siberians prefer the fish based kibbles (their diet when originally bred by the Chukchi people was primarily fish). It's also good because of the omega 3's and 6's. Other foods are orijen, blue buffalo, if you have a costco - I hear their brand of food is pretty good.
Go to dogfoodadvisor.com and look up 4 or 5 star dog foods if they're within your price range.

A higher quality kibble will mean that she won't have to eat as much of it either. I feed 1-1.5 cups a day of Acana to my girl and she's 50 pounds. My 15 pound bag of food lasts almost 2 months (we have three dogs). A 30 pound bag of food lasts almost 5 months - to give you an idea.
Alright I'll look for some higher quality stuff thus weekend. I just picked up some gravy type dry food today while I was out at Walmart getting her a pool, and wouldn't you guess she just loves it. Only got a small bag since I wasn't sure how it would go. Picking up some better stuff this weekend from the feed store as well as some type of fb bones. I heard pork ribs are a good raw food to go with. Any inquires on that?

I'm a new
dog owner so I don't know that much but welcome to the forum! =) Beautiful looking husky by the way.
Thanks, I appreciative the compliment. I don't know too much either and having never owned this breed I'm learning a lot. Where in California do you stay?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I don't know much about the ribs - my dog doesn't like raw bones (I know - she's strange). You can also go the freeze dried route as well.

Feeding raw entails quite a bit of research and work on your part

1 - 7 of 7 Posts