Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Got a few quick questions as im new to here and its my first pup im going to have to raise and teach.

I picked up this dog as a present from my girlfriend and she tells me its a staffy x pitbull.

Im unsure of this as it seems very small for that type of dog. the dog is roughly 5-6weeks old and im looking to get its first shots soon.

Anyone have an indication of what type of dog it is even just a rough guess if it doesnt look like a staffy x pitty mix and also how much the injections cost.

cheers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome! The people here are lovely and I'm sure you will find a lot of the answers you are looking for.

I'm not the most qualified person to give advice being that I only got my first pup nearly 15 weeks ago but I can suggest, seeing as your dog is away from the litter possibly too soon like mine was, be prepared to spend a lot of time teaching bite inhibition/nipping. Choose a method that suits you and your pup best and stick with it. It will feel like nothing works but after weeks of repeating the one method you will begin to notice a change.

I'm in Australia so I'm sure it is different to you but Gracie's second lot of needles were $112 and her third and final lot last week was $91. Hope this helps! :) Good luck!

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
That is... a seriously tiny puppy. Could be pit type, but it's so little and young it's hard to tell. I'd buy something like a JRT-X, too. Time will tell but yes, way too young, work on bite inhibition and prepare for things to take a bit to sink in. That's a seriously baby baby.

I can't help you with costs. They're just too area dependent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback much appreciated! im from sydney australia so im hoping its around the $100 mark. Whats bite inhibition sorry guys very new to this but I am willing to put in hard yards for my pup as I love him and want the best for him! His already following me around like im the pack leader so I guess its a good sign? lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice! I'm in Brisbane, Queensland.

Bite inhibition, very generally, is something your pup learns from his littermates and mother. Your pup must learn to moderate how hard he/she bites and it is very important. It is something they learn through playing with their brothers and sisters around the ages of 6 through to 8 weeks. If your pup bites his brother or sister too hard, they will yelp and cease playing with them... eventually teaching your pup what is an acceptable strength, what is play and what is not. It is also a part of asserting their hierarchy.

There is a LOT on the internet about this topic - type it into Google or I would recommend reading the 'The Bite Stops Here' thread stickied at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks heaps rubberlegs for clearing that up, I have been doing that already and I have noticed when he does bite now its not snapping or anything like that its more biting the licking. The only times he bites hard is when its with his toy that is bigger than him ! :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
He is too young to be away from his litter. Too late to do anything now, but for future reference, pups should be at least 8 weeks before leaving the litter. They learn important social skills like bite inhibition, and dog "body language" so they know how to interact appropriately with other dogs.
Read the stickies on the first time owner forum and the training forum.
Stop thinking about "pack" mentality, dominance or stuff like that. You will need to use positive reinforcement for training. Always teach "what to do" instead of trying to teach "what not to do". IE if he chews something inappropriate, say "uh, uh, and give him something he CAN chew. Puppy proof your home so he has less of a chance of getting something he shouldn't. Don't scold for the puppy having accidents. Interrupt him, and take him out and give a cue like "Go Potty" and praise and give a treat when he does. At 5 weeks he can't hold his bladder long and will need to go out every hr or so. He should be being fed 3-4 times a day right now. Take out after eating, when he wakes up, after playing. Set your alarm at night and take out every 2 hrs or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys, thanks for all the speedy replies. Still wondering though if you guys think he is def a pitty x staf combo! and also any suggestions for toys at this age. Ive heard to avoid squeeky toys and anything too hard.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
hey guys, thanks for all the speedy replies. Still wondering though if you guys think he is def a pitty x staf combo! and also any suggestions for toys at this age. Ive heard to avoid squeeky toys and anything too hard.

Your pup is too young, so it's hard to tell.

OT Question: I thought pits were banned in Australia? Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand his young, when would I start seeing true signs of breed around 8-10 weeks?

And yes they are. I thought it was better to take in a pup then have it put down! I think there a wonderful breed from what i've seen.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
If they're banned in australia, i would stop asking, implying, calling, ANYTHING that your puppy *might be* with staffy or pit in it. Don't mention it, its a lab mix, done and done. Otherwise you're just asking for the pup to be taken away.

And its hard to tell breed mixes until they're done growing.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
If they're banned in australia, i would stop asking, implying, calling, ANYTHING that your puppy *might be* with staffy or pit in it. Don't mention it, its a lab mix, done and done. Otherwise you're just asking for the pup to be taken away.

And its hard to tell breed mixes until they're done growing.
^ This.

And yes, at around 8-12 weeks, it should be a bit easier to tell... but you really never know with mixes which is also a part of the fun! :)

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Here is my foster puppy; a pit bull mix at 7 weeks old. I've had him since he was 4 weeks. He looks almost identical in size and shape week by week to your puppy.

DSC_1833 by DJetzel, on Flickr

Your puppy is absolutely a Jack Russel/Lab mix and saying or thinking otherwise is going to get him put to sleep for sure. Get him out of the country while you still can.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback much appreciated! im from sydney australia so im hoping its around the $100 mark. Whats bite inhibition sorry guys very new to this but I am willing to put in hard yards for my pup as I love him and want the best for him! His already following me around like im the pack leader so I guess its a good sign? lol.
Here in the states we have a Mobile Vet Van that comes around on the weekends to whatever Big commercial pet shop you have-- you get your vaccinations minus the cost of a vet office visit (here thats minus $70) so the vaccine series "puppy pack" or " dog pack" will typically run you about $25 or $30.... Its worth a try-- do you have a big Petsmart or something like that-- they can sell you heartworm and flea preventatives as well....

BUT as he is so Young, take him in for his first Well-pup checkup and first set of shots, then he can rounds 2 and 3 at the mobile clinic....(if you all have one)...
ANd be sure to have him registered with that Vet as a JackRussell - Lab cross to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i thought it was only illegal to inport a pitbull into australia/breed them in australia?
isn't it legal to own them with proper registration?

if so, you should definitely register your dog.
it may but a golden star on your dog but it's better than it being taken away & euthanized
if authorities believe it to be an unregistered dangerous breed.

he looks very much like a staffy to me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
From what I could tell (doing some simple internet research as I live in the USA not australia) pit bulls or even mixes with some pit bulls are illegal and its not just importing them. It sounds like you can register your dog as one of the restricted breeds but you have to show it's been spayed/neutered, that its housed in an "unescapable" space (not sure what that is) and that you have a muzzle on him when out in public. Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump though. I'd recommend taking him to a vet and seeing if you can find one that thinks he's probably a lab/jack russel mix and get paperwork saying such. You should also probably contact your local canine club and ask them for more details as I'm sure they are better informed. I thought people in the USA were pretty biased against pit bulls but it sounds like Australia has actually outlawed them which is a lot stronger. I hope you guys are able to keep him as he's adorable and I'm sure you'll give him a good home.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
This also.
Why cause your dog future heartaches?

This also.
Why cause your dog future heartaches?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts