Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Chris and I just bought a new home recently

It's a perfect home except for one thing... the 6ft wooden fence in the back yard is not set into the ground but was built along the top. There are even some gaps between it and the ground in certain areas!

I need to make my yard as safe as possible for my dogs. I have thought about adding "lines of defense" to it.

1st line: digging and adding wire/railroad ties/bricks along the bottom (and securing some of those with a bunch of rebar).

2nd line: invisible fence

When/If I do the fence, I would need it to be a custom layout and not an enclosed circle/oval. Is there anything like that?

Are there better options for making my lines of defense?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
What do you mean the fence was "built along the top"?

I would choose to reinforce the physical fence, in any case. An invisible fence really isn't that safe, and there's nothing to stop a dog from just blowing through the shock.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
What do you mean the fence was "built along the top"?
I'm not too sure what you mean either. Most wood fences sit on top of the ground (are not buried) so if the ground is uneven there could be gaps underneath.

How big are the gaps you have? I would just add to the bottom of the fence to make those areas touch the ground. If you have a dog with digging habit you might want to bury chicken wire or something and bring it up to the fence.

Our backyard is on quite a slope so there is a gap at the start of each new panel. The gaps aren't big enough for our dogs to get through though and they're not left alone out there long enough to dig under even if they wanted to so it's not an issue. At one point our neighbour had a dog so there was one spot where the dogs were digging from either side. We put bricks in the hole, covered it with chicken wire, then filled the hole with dirt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts