Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i've just joined the site,
Me and my better half have a one year old cocker spaniel, Rosie.
She's an absolute honey of a dog, i wouldn't change her for the world,
the thing is she's started getting funny moods, (she's in season atm) we give her the occasional treat sometimes a pigs ear or bone which she loves but she sits there and guards it... if we go near her she growls?! it's weird but she doesn't even start to eat the treat, just leaves it nearby and growls (i say growl but it's more of a whine-y type moan)if we aproach her,
does anyone know why or have a dog that does it?
as i type this she's even doing it now, she doesn't even have a treat but sitting there shaking and whining/moaning...

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Growling and not eating a treat? Resource guarding. I have the queen of all resource guarders, my mutt Smalls. Have you tried working out a game of trade with her? You have to start with something simple, not a high value treat or toy, and then trade it with something a little bit better. Approach with the treat, say "Drop it." and take the toy away as you're handing her the treat.

As for shaking and moaning without a resource, I would suggest seeing a vet? I'm not sure what behavior that would be, especially if she hasn't exhibited it before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts