Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I got a new pitbull puppy a month ago at 5 weeks old. He was very young he lost his mother so he neended a home. I have 2 other dogs small bread, they are mother and daughter. Judie (10years old) and Chloe (2years old). Judie does not like puppies so she did not want anything to do with him, Choe took about a week before starting to play with him, but now they love playing together. She does not like him very much, but will play with him. Because he needs training now we tel him no and down and Choe would hide thinking she did something wrong. I would call her and give her lovies trying to tell her she did not do something wrong. What can i do to let het know i am talking to the puppy, i uses his name before saying no or down but does not work, she is always scared when i just even sounds that we are scolding. What should i do i hate seeing her like this

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You need to train separately and keep them separate for awhile so the puppy does not bond to the other dog. You also will do much better with both dogs doing this.

If the dogs are separated they won't confuse the cues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do train seperatly but even in general if he wouldn't bite something he shouldn't or things in general he is not surposed to do. I would tel him in general with a soft tone ''Odin no'' and she would think i am talking to her

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
It might help to reduce the amount of verbal corrections you're giving him by focusing on telling him what you want to do instead. For example, he tries to counter surf so you cue him to sit so he can't reach the counter. If he tries to 'help' load the dishwasher, train him to sit on a bed and cue him to sit there when you need him out of your way. You can also use this if he jumps on furniture he's not allowed - cue him to go to his bed and reward him for being there instead so it becomes a way better than the alternative in his mind. If he's barking or chewing things he's not supposed to encourage him to fetch an appropriate toy/chew to occupy his mouth with.

Basically, if you focus on teaching him what you want him to do instead of just correcting him for what you don't want, you'll have to use 'no' less and make your other dog much happier. As an added benefit, many dogs find it easier to stop unwanted behaviors when they're given an appropriate alternative to do instead, so it might help overall with him learning good house manners. You might have to be creative in some cases with finding 'good' behaviors that replace the 'bad' ones in a way that works for both him and you, but it tends to be worth it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts