Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got laid off about 3 weeks ago from Camp Bow Wow, which really sucked. I was worried I'd be out of a job for 3 months again like I was last time, but this has to be a record for me, for the shortest amount of time being unemployed!

I went to an interview at another doggy daycare today and got hired on the spot! They're called Hobnob and they haven't even opened yet they are so new. They are in a very good area though, and they will get good business. They open on the 17th, so that's my first day of work. Tomorrow I go in for orientation and to meet all the other people who were chosen.

The lady who owns the place was really nice, and we seem to have all the same views on dog behavior and nutrition. What's even better is she's a former trainer herself, and is going to hold training classes after this place is open. I'm so freaking excited! This is going to be so much BETTER than my last job!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Congratulations Cheetah!!!! It sounds wonderful.

Looking forward to your update after your first day. :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Whoo Whoo!

Nothing like being stressed over losing work, and then finding something you like even better.

Look forward to hearing about it!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
thats great!

how do you go about getting a job at a doggy daycare? im sure they have a lot of people applying all the time, teenage girls who 'love dogs'. how do you prove you are really interested?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Congratulations Cheetah! I'm so happy for you. This sounds like a wonderful opportunity. :D

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
That's fantastic news! Was it you who was not fond of your last boss/co-workers? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Either way, I'm very happy for you, sounds like you got yourself a good job :D

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats great!

how do you go about getting a job at a doggy daycare? im sure they have a lot of people applying all the time, teenage girls who 'love dogs'. how do you prove you are really interested?
Well, my resume's got dogs and other animals all over it, Shippo's got his CGC (that's resume material), and usually when you interview at doggy daycares and such, they stick you in with a mild group of dogs and they watch to see how you handle it. They also quiz you during the interview, asking questions such as "if there is a dog fight, how do you break it up?" or "if there is a dog being unruly or humping another dog, how do you solve the problem?" You have to answer those questions correctly, or it usually means you're out.

Also, I didn't dislike my former co-workers, but we did have an influx of "new" employees come to our daycare from another one, and half of them didn't know WTF they were doing. One of them WAS one of those teenage girls who "loves dogs," and when a really bad fight broke out between a boxer and a bully, she just stood there and SCREAMED instead of helped me break them up. After the fight was broken up, she walked out (abandoned her play yard) and never came back.

I loved all my co-workers really (the ones who stayed on and knew what they were doing), and it's a shame that I had to get laid off or I'd still be there.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got back from orientation. My pay is significantly higher than what my last job paid, so YAY! We watched a behavior video and went over the methods we'll be using, as well as the products we'll be selling. We'll be selling dog foods such as The Honest Kitchen, Taste of the Wild, Healthwise, Primal raw frozen diets and bones, etc. Employee discounts, woohoo! The cleaning will be MUCH easier. There will be a crank-down spray hose system like there was at the shelter I worked at, and a drainage system! What a concept! The outside area will have faux grass, so it's not all hard concrete and rocks.

I'll probably leave Eevee at home, because we won't be allowed to have our own dogs in the same play yards as us, so Eevee would spend the entire day glued to the gate trying to get a glimpse of me, instead of playing and having a good time (she's a velcro dog and if she knows I'm still around, I'm all she cares about).

Shippo on the other hand can probably go, because he's a lot more independent, and since I like the methods we'll be using and have more confidence on the people I'll be working with, I feel like I can trust them to be able to handle him and not put up with his crap lol. He needs the exercise anyway, and the special concrete that's in half the play area will help to wear down his toenails (this freaking dog's got the fastest growing toenails I've EVER SEEN!).

Anyway, with the rate of pay and hours I'll be receiving, I'm thinking I'll be able to actually move out of my boyfriend's parents' house and back into my own place (thank god)!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
This is awesome news!! Your luck must be rubbing off onto me; I got back earlier from my second inerview with a vet clinic. I'm going in tomorow for what they call a work interview. Its pretty much a day to go over what happens in a normal work day. Pay is better, people are MUCH better, and the hospital is wonderful.

It sounds like you've got a golden job Cheetah! I can tell just from your posts you're excited. :)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Cheetah, that sounds wonderful!!!! Tell your new boss good luck she's brave opening a new business right now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts