Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy! I have a new Jack Russell Tarrier that I picked off of a man who had a kennel for raising show dogs (so, obviously, this dog was raised to be a show dog). Unfortunately, the dog didn't meet height requirements and was sold to me (yay!) for 25 dollars. Alright, so here's the problem: I have a cat. A two year old cat (the dog is eleven months). Is the dog too old to learn how to coexist with my cat? If it isn't, then how can I get the two to get along in the meantime?

***EDIT***
I forgot to mention that while, no, I'm not a first time dog "owner" (my family had a schnoodle, but unfortunately it died at age 13 of cancer), but this is the first dog I have owned where I was old enough to be responsible for it. In the household the dog is considered "my dog" and I have to take care of it. So, obviously, you can see my concern. I don't want to come home to my sister's dead cat.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
It's spelled Terrier :p

And yes you can work on getting them to live peacefully together. Does the dog try to eat the cat now? How does he react? You can do really slow introductions with the dog in the kennel or the cat in a kennel, and teach the dog a strong Leave it! command.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's spelled Terrier :p

And yes you can work on getting them to live peacefully together. Does the dog try to eat the cat now? How does he react? You can do really slow introductions with the dog in the kennel or the cat in a kennel, and teach the dog a strong Leave it! command.
The dog isn't trying to "eat" the cat, she chased it once and she follows it around a lot. No attempt of biting just yet. She is a really sweet dog (once again - raised to be a show dog) and she is very well behaved and cooperative, yet I don't want her to rip the cat's head off when they finally come in actual contact of each other. I yelled at her to stop when she chased the cat and she stopped instantly, yet my cat is so petrified she is vomiting everywhere! :eek:

***EDIT***
I also want to add that I tried some technique that the internet suggested. I put both the cat and the JRT in the same room, but kept the JRT on a leash. The cat hissed and the dog desperately wanted to chase the cat, she even tried to jump out of my hands and growled at the cat (well, the last part was when we let the cat go, it ran away and the JRT acted as though he wanted to kill it).

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My admittedly limited experience with terriers makes me think if I had one and a cat, I would keep them separated if I wasn't there to supervise. Always.

When you're there to supervise, get between her and the cat. Ideally, I think you'd want her to have no reaction at all to the cat. I'm allergic to cats, so I haven't actually worked with a dog on this issue. I know several other members have cats and dogs, so hopefully they'll jump in with advice.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
All dogs are individuals so what follows must be in the form of a generalization.

Although JRTs have been known to peacefully share their home with other small animals -such as cats - this is always a very iffy situation. JRTs are hunter-killers. Hunting is bred into them.

Since they have no herding tendencies, they will usually ignore large animals like horses, etc. Small animals like cats are another thing entirely. JRTs have no 'off-switch' - once their prey drive has been triggered to a particular target, they will single-mindedly pursue the target with intent to kill.

The problem is that some individual JRTs have a lower prey drive than others and so it seems to take unusual activity on the part of the prey to trigger it. Also, even JRTs with high drive will sometimes ignore an animal for no apparent reason and then suddenly take off after it. It is often hard to know just what is going on with these terriers.

Bottom line is I would not consider any JRT to be reliable around cats or any other small animal.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
What if the cat is bigger than the dog?
How much bigger? JRTs have been known to go after badgers and raccoons. Since he's from a show line, you have a better chance at a lower prey drive, but the JRT's defining characteristic is being utterly fearless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meh, in size I'd say a good 10 lbs heavier, but near the same height (the cat is still taller). She hasn't barked at the cat until today whenever she saw the cat walk by the door. We are keeping them rooms apart right now and kind of letting one roam at one time and letting the other one roam at another.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JRTs are definitely fearless and have no clue that they really aren't all that big, so I doubt the size of the cat would matter much.

Though you obviously have the right intention, I think that keeping the two separated (but still aware of one another) could potentially create more problems. I would try letting them interact with each other in the house (with supervision) and go from there. If you are worried about breaking them up if there is a problem, I would leave a short leash on your dog so that you can pull her away from the cat if you need to.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
What if the cat is bigger than the dog?
For a JRT, it won't matter in the least. If it gets to the point where your JRT is actually going for your sister's cat, it won't be deterred by much of anything except somebody physically restraining it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She chased the cat before and stopped whenever I commanded it to, so I really don't think it'll be that hard. They were in the same room today and no aggression was shown, they simply kept their distance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, last night they didn't only coexist a room together, they stayed in the same room for quite some time. BUT, today the dog chased the cat, barking and running at full speed. I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Well, last night they didn't only coexist a room together, they stayed in the same room for quite some time. BUT, today the dog chased the cat, barking and running at full speed. I don't get it.
This is not surprising for a terrier. Plus some dogs are like that. My Cupid gets along with most dogs, but once he sees a cat, all bets are off and I'd better have a damn good hold on his leash. I still suggest separation for the safety of all parties.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
just like kids, your dog might not behave the same when you're not around. Definitely wouldn't keep the JRT and cats together unsupervised.

This is not surprising for a terrier. Plus some dogs are like that. My Cupid gets along with most dogs, but once he sees a cat, all bets are off and I'd better have a damn good hold on his leash. I still suggest separation for the safety of all parties.
My dog's the same, he'd chase birds and rabbits playfully and loves everyone. (There's this one little chin that we always see that growls at my dog fangs bared and my dog still tries to play with him.) However with cats, he goes crazy. I don't know if it's aggression towards cats but I don't want to find out. Either the dog hurts the cat, or the cat gets mad and hurts the dog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts