Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so this past Saturday we found two husky running on the emergency lane of the freeway. so we took them to the vet to see if they were chipped, well they weren't. So we took them home and started looking for listings on them. we found the males owner. So now sheis at our house with our corgi and our cat. We have posted and searched about her on facebook, instagram, and craigslist looking for her owner.

We are now in the process of trying to do some basic training.
How hard are huskies to train?

She has been sleeping in our Corgis kennel which is the perfect size for her. She is not acting out. She also gets scared when ever some one lifts there hand around her as if she has been abused in the past.

She is on the skinny side we can see her ribs when she is just standing there, is that normal for huskies?

as I said I have no knowledge on huskies.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Are you planning on keeping her, or rehoming her?

To answer a few of your questions - Huskies aren't the easiest dogs to own. In fact, they're probably on the list of the more demanding breeds to work with.

If you can see her ribs through her coat (which should be thick, as huskies are a double-coated breed), then she is very skinny.

I find it odd that the two dogs were running together but had separate owners...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes we are talking about keeping her if she can learn to not try and chase my cat out of the house but either way we will work with her. yes her ribs are showing through her coat. ill get a pic of what I'm talking about when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Huskies are very, very intelligent but are equally as independent and are not usually willing to learn unless you have the right motivation.
They are also highly prey driven, so the cat will take a lot of training and supervision. Look up the Look At That Game. It taught my husky not to mess with my cat.

Know that they are very high energy and need at least an hour of serious exercise a day, plus other forms of exercise and daily training.

A lot of huskies can be on the slim side, but unless she is very muscular, you should not be really seeing the ribs. They generally require high protein and fatty diets.

They also shed, heavily, and twice a year they blow their coat.

Be sure to do A LOT of research before you decide to keep this dog. This breed can be an utter nightmare if you are not prepared.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Huskies are very, very intelligent but are equally as independent and are not usually willing to learn unless you have the right motivation.
They are also highly prey driven, so the cat will take a lot of training and supervision. Look up the Look At That Game. It taught my husky not to mess with my cat.

Know that they are very high energy and need at least an hour of serious exercise a day, plus other forms of exercise and daily training.

A lot of huskies can be on the slim side, but unless she is very muscular, you should not be really seeing the ribs. They generally require high protein and fatty diets.

They also shed, heavily, and twice a year they blow their coat.

Be sure to do A LOT of research before you decide to keep this dog. This breed can be an utter nightmare if you are not prepared.
HollowHeaven beat me to it - a Husky is NOT a breed to jump into before doing research. They are intelligent, vocal, physically demanding dogs and generally have a high prey drive. The shedding is no joke, prepare to vacuum once every other day and to buy plenty of lint rollers if you prefer to wear dark colors.

I echo her sentiment - make sure you do a ton of research. And don't just think "well, we'll get by with only exercising her for 30 minutes every other day". Because that will result in an understimulated dog who will be likely to howl, destroy your house and chase your cat to high heaven.

If you decide that the breed just isn't for you, you could probably locate a breed-specific rescue in your area that will place her in a foster home until she gains some weight and they are able to assess her personality and find her a great forever home :)

Also, as it hasn't been said yet, you are a wonderful person for stopping, saving the dogs and then trying to locate their owners. That's above and beyond what most people would do. Whether you keep the female or not, you've done an amazing thing by making sure the dogs are safe and have another shot at life :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys we are doing research on them which is why i joined this forum and a few groups on facebook to ask questions. Daily walks we can manage since we walk our corgi we will just extend the time. Shedding isnt an issue since our corgi sheds alot. I just want to make sure she is happy so of it turna out she is to much for us we will definitely look for an apropriate rescue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts