Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometime within the last two months my two year old toy Aussie has started neglecting his house training. He is usually left around 8 hours a day but there are occasional days it is longer. When I first got him as a puppy he was able to be housetrained within pretty much two weeks. Now, even if he is left for only 2 hours we come home to pee and/or poop on the floor. The only thing in his world that has changed is that I've recently found out I'm pregnant so 1) my husband feeds him and 2) I am exhausted and thus giving less attention than normal.

So I have two questions. 1) How do I untrain this new habit? 2) There are a few untreated spots on the rug that have been blotted up but not cleaned (due to running out of cleaner). If I simply buy a new cleaner and saturate the area will that be sufficient or is there a more powerful method needed?

I suppose if those spots are cleaned more properly the problem might go away on its own but with the morning sickness etc, these little "surprises" are even more not my favorite than usual.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Crate train him so he can't have accidents while you're gone, and you can clean these areas with vinegar. If you have a carpet cleaner, this will be a faster process.

If you have a carpet cleaner, go over the areas with cool water (make sure the heater is shut off, if it has one). Then soak the area in white vinegar, scrub it in with a scrubbing brush. Let it sit over night of you can (2-3 hours if you don't have all night) then clean it up with your carpet cleaner. If, it still smells like pee, repeat.

If you don't have a carpet cleaner, then soak the area in vinegar, scrub it in. Let it sit overnight if you have time (2-3 hours if not). Soak up as much vinegar as you can with towels. Then cover entirely with baking soda and scrub it in really good, and sprinkle a bit more on top. Let this sit at least 30 minutes. Then cover the baking soda with peroxide (test the peroxide on an area of carpet that doesn't matter, because peroxide changes some people's carpet color). If you can't use the peroxide, then just skip this step.

Once the baking soda is dry, vacuum it all up. This will clean potty areas just like a cleaner, and the dog will not be able to smell them. vinegar acts as an enzymatic cleaner, so you can use it to clean up potty spots on tile as well.

For making sure your dog gets enough exercise, buy a long line (like 50 ft) from a tractor supply or pet store, and attach it to something solid, like a pole or tree. Then, just play fetch. You can sit in a chair and relax and just toss the ball. Have your husband walk him when he can. Buy him interactive toys, and puzzle food toys. You can freeze peanut butter inside a kong and that will entertain him when you're busy.

if you do crate train him, then be sure to leave him with something like a frozen kong or puzzle toy so he isn't bored when you leave.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts