Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently moved house and Sadie, my one year old puppy has a much bigger yard to play in. However, another family also has access to the yard. I've not met them yet and don't know how they would react to a dog running towards them. Do I keep Sadie on the leash until she first meets the new people and hopefully likes them, or keep her loose and make sure she's supervised?

·
Registered
392 Posts
You could always just introduce yourself to them, let them know you have a dog that will be in the yard, and see how that goes. Let them know you would like to have her off leash in the yard and would be happy to do an introduction first, and that they should let you know if they have any problems. I'm not really sure how you handle it if, say, they are afraid of dogs...but it seems likely that if the place allows dogs and has a fenced yard, they were probably aware a dog may share the yard.

Introducing myself and Quill is what I did when we lived in a duplex and shared a yard with the upstairs neighbor! I just told her if she ever had any issues to let me know, and let her meet Quill.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'll talk to them if I get the chance. They don't seem to come out to the yard much and we don't come out too much either, so there hasn't been much interaction so far. I've only seen the guy in that family and he seemed to like Sadie from his balcony. So far it's all going smoothly with her running loose, but I'm keeping a close eye on everything and she's always supervised when outside.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
How do you access the yard? if it’s from the outside, then you definitely need to talk to them sooner rather than later: you cant have your dog outside & have them need to open a gate from the outside. If there’s a gate, you need to make sure they never leave it open.

If it’s access from the house, that makes it easier but if I was you, I’d knock on the door and initiate contact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts