Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I just moved into our new home with our year and a half old Cockapoo. At our old homes, we would leave him out of his kennel (locked in our bedroom), with toys and food, and he would never have an issue. Now, the two times we have left him out of the kennel in our new home, he has chewed up our carpet. He chews the carpet right next to our bedroom door, which like I said, it always closed.

When he's at my parents, he never does anything like this either! We can't figure out why he does this! He's on strike 2, so we want to resolve this issue soon!

I do know since we have moved in, he has been getting less exercise. Also, at our old homes, he either had dogs to play with or a window to watch people. I'm not sure how this plays into his issue. We usually leave his stuffed dog in the room with him as well.

Any ideas of why he does this? Or even how to stop this?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
How long have you been in the new house?
This is a big change for him. Keep him in his crate when he can't be supervised, give him more exercise, leave him with toys to keep him busy. Watch him. Not that hard really.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Crate him while you aren't able to supervise him. Give him some time to adjust and calm down in this new environment. It might also be a harder adjustment for him if he is used to having social support from other animals and he is now in a strange house alone.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
What do you mean strike 2, It's a no-brainer he does it when left out of kennel, so put him in kennel and it stops immediately. He does not look at your new home the way you do, to him it's a strange new environment and a month means nothing in dog time.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
We have been in the house for a month.

He only does this when we are gone..
So, like has been said, put him in the crate when you're gone. When you can't watch him, when you're gone, put him in the crate, put a toy in there with him, and shut the door. A month isn't much time to adjust to a new home.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
He scratches at and chews the carpet next to your bedroom door because he wants out of the bedroom. Time is kind of meaningless to a dog. You've been there a month, but to him, it's still new and it's still scary, ESPECIALLY when you aren't there. He, as a dog, doesn't have a concept of "oh, ok, this is our new home, together as a family, we live here now." What he may think is "this is new and scary, and when they leave me, how do I know they're coming back?"

If crating helps him be more calm, I would crate him. Or, at the very least, I would leave the bedroom door open, and use a baby gate to block the door way to keep him in that bedroom.

The things you mentioned DO play into this issue. For people exercise helps relieve stress, it does the same for dogs. So, by getting less exercise he doesn't have that time to relieve some of his stress. Also, a tired dog will chew things up less, in general. And, having a window to look out gives a dog something to focus on, now he doesn't have that. Lots of dogs don't like complete isolation, so putting him in the bedroom and closing the door is likely making him feel totally shut away, isloated. If you use a baby gate to block the door, instead of shutting it completely, at least he's not isolated entirely. And, not having his doggy friends to chill with or play with definitely adds to the changes he's going through.

Have you tried giving him something like a frozen, stuffed kong? We use peanut butter in our kongs. Being that they're frozen, it takes them awhile to get the peanut butter out, and keeps their minds focused on something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts