Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My name is Skyylar, after searching for a while for a pup we found a 4 month old mix (no one has a clue what he is) that someone was giving away. They started a new job recently and are gone from dawn to dusk and didn't feel it was fair to him. He's a sweet guy and real laid back but there's one thing I didn't realize when we first spoke to the owners that we found out today when they dropped him off. We were told at 2 months old he was rushed to the e-vet after escaping the dog-sitter (owners mother)'s yard and was hit by a car. He had a broken leg (three places) and a shattered pelvis. He had surgery and a steel rod was put in to aid in recovery. After a month the bond healed and the rod was removed. He has a scar that starts at the hip and goes about 6-8 inches down his back left thigh. I was wondering since it's only been a month since the rod was removed is it safe to allow him to run, jump and take walks? I know at 4 months running him and taking him on very long walks is not good in the first place so with a back injury not long ago I wanted alittle advice.

The rest of our dog family consist of my border collie/shepherd mix who is 15 years old and a big baby.

Hope to spend a lot of time sharing our adventures here and meeting new people.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome!!

Sorry about your pups past :( I would think he should probably be on crate rest for a bit longer. We have a rat terrier..she lives with my mom, but back when she was a pup one of my aussie's tripped over and fell on her. He broke her left back leg. We did surgery and they put pins in, she was on crate rest for about 8 weeks. Then limited walking, I did not start actively walking, hiking and training with her till she was around 6 mnths old

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise! He's a sweet little guy and with a little training I think he'll go a long way. Here he is!
[/IMG]

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Welcome to DF!
What a cute pup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts