Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man I am not good at introductions. To start off my name is Sanne and I own a beautiful (I am not biased I swear :p) Hollandse Herder, probably better known here as a Dutch Shepherd. Her name is Zuna and still a bit young at 1 yr. I am from and live in Netherland but thanks to my boyfriend's job and his love to travel, it is not uncommon for me to find myself in the US sometimes for a couple months. Since I love talking over anything dog, I thought it would be good for me to become active on some forums and an English forum would be good practice for my English and hopefully help me become more confident in writing in it. So bare with me please if some things I say seem.. off :redface:

So typical of Zuna, my motivation to be a bit more social always has to do with her

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome.
I do love Dutchies, and I might be just a tad biased. I have two. Would love to see some pics of your girl.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They really are the best aren't they? Cool to see another Dutchie owner so quickly! I know they are not the most popular breed of choice. Oh no asking me for pictures is a bad idea lol I'll make myself keep it light.

That last one is just.. how she gets when the tennis ball comes out lol. Would love to see some pictures of yours!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Another Dutchie owner here! We have a small handful of good breeders in the USA. Yours is just STUNNING. Are they pretty popular in their country of origin?

Here are some pics of mine (linked to the last page since the first few pages don't have photos that work anymore): https://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/473426-braeburn-14.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yours is gorgeous too. Love the picture of him in the santa hat, his face looks like he is trying to say "are you kidding me" haha. Braeburn is an interesting name! Any reason behind it?

I wouldn't say they are popular but definitely not rare enough to warrant a double take at the park. They are picked fairly often by people who want something active but can still be a chill house dog when need be. Not sure what the lines are like over there but here they tend to be quite chill and great around everyone and everything. But once let loose or needed for work then it's on!! This ability to just be a dog makes them a more common choice for pets here than say the Belgian Malinois. Those things tend to be neurotic when expected to just be a dog, much more common for police work here than pets. German Shepherd is by far much more popular than either though

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Wow, my dog did not get the "can be a chill house dog when need be" memo :D It also is not uncommon for Dutchies here to be selective towards people or dogs, though stability is favored for sure. They are definitely not advertised as "good with all" though. My breeder does a phenomenal job producing well rounded dogs that go to police, SAR, sport, and pet homes.
But I know it depends strongly on lines. It's also interesting that Dutchies and Mals are so differentiated where you are. They are practically the same breed here, with line differences mattering more than breed differences.

Braeburn is a type of apple :) Sweet, juicy, stripey... And I like my plant names.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting indeed! Yea lines def make a big impact, just Belgians here are on a whole nother level, where you can get calmer DS there seem to be no calmer BM . I have only ever personally met one person who owns one, the rest I have seen were all police dogs. Anyone interested in one is usually strongly steered away aha. Dutchies here tend to actually like the company of other dogs more than people! The exception would be strange dogs on their territory. Makes sense though, we originally used these dogs mostly for farm work, they had to be able to get along with an array of animals including livestock, other dogs, cats etc. Sometimes we have "Dutchie get togethers" in public places and you will have loads of Dutchies both dog and human lol never a problem. They are the type of dog that you do not really have to worry about starting a fight but they sure will finish one! That is the difference in how we see the Dutch vs Belgian, Dutch is seen as more versatile - can be used for work, can be a good family dog in the right hands, excels in dog sport, Belgian - good for work, work, and work :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks! She comes with. Most of our travel happens around other European countries around us so we usually travel by car then. We find that more fun and obviously makes it much more comfortable to bring her along.

Luckily we have not found our way to the States yet since getting her, but we did bring our past dog along! And if the occasion arises we know we would bring her. I hate bringing dogs by plane but she does awful around people she does not know well when I am not around. My own family members cannot control her when they come around. I do not think there is anyone I could trust to take care of and control her for an extended period of time! My boyfriend says travel to the States might end with Zuna though haha he does not think she would do well by plane (I agree) and he really stressed that he is willing to give that up entirely

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Oof, reminds me I should have started/need to start getting my boy into boarding facilities asap. He's totally fine left alone in my home, in an office, in a random hotel room, in my car, etc. But I've never left him in the care of another person other than at home with my partner. He's so far very stable and aloof to social with people. But I know shepherds in general can be different when their people aren't there. There's a Dutchie owner on a group I'm in and the dog has always been social with people. Then the owners went on a trip and had a sitter come watch him. He KNEW the person very well. But he still bit up her arm and caused multiple punctures when he door darted and the sitter tried to lead him in by the collar.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HA I shouldn't laugh but it is just... SO like a Dutchie :) Reminds me of when my brother came to visit for a weekend. She knows him very well, since she was a pup. We went out to eat and he stayed back because he was not feeling well. I get a call from him, no greeting, just "I let Zuna out back to go to the bathroom and she won't come back inside, what do I do??". My reaction? Well just call her inside duh! shes got great recall, does not leave my side when I take her off lead until given the go ahead. Apparently she would not even look at him while he was yelling her name. He tried to approach her and be more stern and her response was to bark at him and take off in the opposite direction. I think he was a bit offended in the end "I thought she liked me! We even chilled on the couch together!" :pound: She is very sweet with him they are like good buddies, just does not respect him I suppose

This picture sums up perfectly what she is like with me off lead, other dogs around, kids playing, does not matter. Totally different dog with me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts