Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! Dog mom to a 7 mth old neutered male American bull dog/border collie mix and dearly departed rough collie. I never took our prev dog to a dog park but we have a local one near us. Rory is still a bit stand offish with other male dogs, he had a mastiff/pit mix attack him at 4 mths.
We have since been working on his trust level. We do walks regularly in the last couple mths with friends and their dogs and he does well. We even had a couple older female dogs over after the walk and he was great. He has made a lot of progress. However, he still backs away sometimes if a male tries to approach him. Rory will sniff the other dogs butt but wont let the other dog sniff him. So now we stand at the fence of the dpg park and dogs come over and he wags his tail and seems excited. We havebeen doing this for a mth now and he gets more happy about it. Should I chance bringing him in? He is 70 lbs and solid...

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I don't do dog parks. so uncontrolled and unpredictable. you don't know the dogs and you don't know the people.. Many people think the dog parks are where to bring unsocial/reactive dogs to practice on your dog. I would stick with your small group of friends as your doing. and the activities that yall are doing.

So sorry for your loss of your collie...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
If he is already unsure, don't take him. I would continue letting him play with your friends' dogs. He is still very young and impressionable, so if something bad happened again it might undo all of your progress.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.. Casey was my best friend and I miss him so much everyday. It's been about 3 yrs now. Rory is quite a different dog but we are working thru it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts