Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a first time dog owner who rescued a Cavachon (Cavalier/Bichon) male about 5 weeks ago. So far, things are going great. Bailey loves every person and dog he meets (especially the big dogs!) and is really a joy.

My main question is about food...The shelter was feeding him Pedigree Puppy which I knew was junk. The vet tech recommended Royal Canin, so I transitioned him to Mini Puppy 33. Then I found this great forum which linked me to the Dog Food Analysis site and found that the Royal Canin wasn't so great. So, I ordered Orijen puppy online and received it yesterday. I want to gradually introduce Bailey to the Orijen but was concerned by the kibble size as it's substantially larger than the RC kibble. Bailey is probably 6.5-7 lbs right now but has pretty tiny (yet razor-sharp!) teeth. Is he too small for the Orijen? I gave him a small amount of it yesterday mixed in with his RC and he seemed to like it but I did notice it took him much longer to chew.

I'm a bit of a nervous first time mommy and just want to make sure I'm doing things right for my little boy!

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's ok if he takes a bit longer to eat the Orijen. Some dogs develop a preference for kibble sizes and shapes but if he's eating it just fine I wouldn't be at all concerned about it. Just keep taking it slow on the switch (should take 7-10 days total to make a complete switch).

Congrats on your pup and Orijen is a great choice!

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's actually better than it takes him longer to eat. Better for digestion. Glad you went with Orijen, in my opinion, it's the best kibble out there. I really wish they made canned food though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. I don't seem to have a picky eater on my hands, he's been pretty happy with food in general so far :) I did notice this morning that he picked out and ate the Orijen kibble (there were probably only 15 or so pieces in his bowl) before the Canin kibble. I'm definitely going to take my time in switching him over. I was happy to see that the Orijen really isn't even any more expensive than the Canin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts