Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New here - Please suggest breed

Hello Everybody,

I am looking to adopt a dog within the next 2 years. I'm doing my research in advance to find a breed compatible with me and my lifestyle.

I am not a first time dog owner, but it would be the first time I'm the primary care giver. I used to be a lot more active, however i've been quite lazy for the past few years.

In terms of dog personality, I like dogs who are affectionate but not too sticky. Can be aloof with strangers. Intelligent and easy to train. Has to be quiet (don't care about occasional barking, but still needs to be fairly quiet and I will of course work on training as well). Has to be good with other small dogs and cats.

Maintenance, I like short fur and minimal shedding. Exercise, about 1 hour of exercise per day and training. Besides all the basic commands I am planning to teach many more tricks with the help of the Karen Pryor Academy. Also, I do live in an urban area (Montreal) in an apartment. But there are many dog parks and other parks we can go walk around.

Looks: I like athletic looking dogs (not stubby) between 50 to 70 pounds, preferably up-right ears. (I love blue eyes... i've been looking at many many husky mixes).

Some breeds I've been looking at and liked: Catahoula Leopard Dog, rhodesian ridgeback, pharaoh hound.

It's a long time ahead before I can actually adopt a dog.. but i'd like to think of potential breeds in advance. Any suggestion is very much appreciated !

Thanks !
Corado.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Given you're in Montreal and a renter.. I'd be sure you aren't going to be moving anytime soon (unless it's to your own house) given the crappy renting issues when it comes to animals.

I'm partial to Danes and they make great apartment dogs and mostly fit your criteria.. except the whole weight thing ;) Good luck on your search! There are so many great rescues in the Montreal area that I'm sure you'll be able to find a good match :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Rye. :)

Or whole wheat... I'm a big fan of either.

Seriously though, I'm not very good at the breed picking thing. I for sure would not think a husky or husky mix would be good. I've never had one so I'm not an expert but from what I've heard they would need more exercise and they would also shed quite a bit.

I think most dogs though could potentially do ok in an apartment as long as their exercise requirements were met.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given you're in Montreal and a renter.. I'd be sure you aren't going to be moving anytime soon (unless it's to your own house) given the crappy renting issues when it comes to animals.

I'm partial to Danes and they make great apartment dogs and mostly fit your criteria.. except the whole weight thing ;) Good luck on your search! There are so many great rescues in the Montreal area that I'm sure you'll be able to find a good match :)
My gf has been suggesting Danes as well. Maybe i'll be able to find a Dane mix which would be a bit smaller than regular danes. Because other than the size, they do indeed my criteria. Thanks !

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The breeds you listed are very high energy.

I'm going to also go against the husky suggestion because they are HIGH shedding dogs, HIGH energy dogs and VERY vocal dogs. Going for a mix is very possible, but you'd have to find one that didn't inherit those traits and that could be a long search.

I do agree that a Dane would suit you. Fairly low energy, low shedding, pretty quiet, love to be loved, intelligent.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The breeds you listed are very high energy.

I'm going to also go against the husky suggestion because they are HIGH shedding dogs, HIGH energy dogs and VERY vocal dogs. Going for a mix is very possible, but you'd have to find one that didn't inherit those traits and that could be a long search.

I do agree that a Dane would suit you. Fairly low energy, low shedding, pretty quiet, love to be loved, intelligent.
I was going to say this exactly, just be aware that since danes are a giant breed they do tend to have health issues like bloat, hip dysplasia, and many others but i can't remember them. Also if you live on a high up floor and there aren't any elevators it can be hard on the dog's joints

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
My gf has been suggesting Danes as well. Maybe i'll be able to find a Dane mix which would be a bit smaller than regular danes. Because other than the size, they do indeed my criteria. Thanks !
You'll often find Dane/Lab mixes.. they average around 90 lbs or so (my friend has one). Even at that, some Danes don't get as big as you'd think (ours is in good shape at 135 lbs :)

Danes are absolutely wonderful - great apartment dogs. You may also consider a retired greyhound - they are smaller than the Danes and we have a wonderful rescue here in QC - http://www.greyhoundrescuequebec.com/

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
What about the right adult lab or lab mix? I know a lot of 'labradogs' that would fit. Or some kind of hound?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
What about a retired greyhound? Short fur, good apartment dogs, good size, long legs, ears are... more upright than most hounds? They don't actually require a ton of exercise, though they do like a good run. All the greyhounds I've met have been sweet dogs. I don't know that they would necessarily be good with cats, since they're trained to chase small animals, but if you could find one that has been socialized with cats, that would help.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Retired greyhound would be my suggestion! They are amazing. I have owned 7 and fostered around 160.

Most tend to be affectionate but not follow you to the bathroom kind of dogs. haha They are aloof with strangers for the most part. Some are good with cats some are not. The rescue will be able to tell you which ones would be a good fit for you! They are great apartment dogs, usually very quiet inside the house. Some are very willing to learn tricks others not so much, it depends on the dog. An hour a day would be more than enough for most greys. :) Again the rescue can point you to the right dog for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Standard poodle would fit except for the upright ears. Also you're not likely to find one at a shelter.
Just keep looking at the shelters for a dog over 3 years old that fits you. I had a Husky mix and he was
high octane for 5 years then mellowed into a nice mature dog. He SHED BIG time though and there
were tumble weeds of fur everywhere.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I agree with a rescue greyhound. I've never met a greyhound who wasn't as sweet as can be, very minimal shedding, good apartment dogs and one hour of exercise (A chance to run or a good long walk.) a day would be perfect, I think.

Also, a husky would be a definite no if you don't like a crap ton of shedding, vocal... and they need much more exercise than an hour a day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like Danes, the only thing i'm concerned is their health issues. But given that I have a lot of time to decide before I adopt, I guess I'll probably look into Danes, greyhound or a mix of one of them with a lab. Thanks for the greyhound rescue link. I'm going to ask them for more info !

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Well, as for Labs, they are high energy, more so than a Dane or a Greyhound, and they shed. like. wildfire.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Well, as for Labs, they are high energy, more so than a Dane or a Greyhound, and they shed. like. wildfire.
The saying is SPREAD like wildfire lol but I know what you were trying to say, I was going to say the same thing...if they were going to get a lab I would pick something that was mixed with a low key dog... :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All these suggestions are very much appreciated ! Thanks a lot.

I'd probably choose a greyhound over a dane... and yes you guys are right. Labs do shed a lot..

Although I love huskies, the 3 points mentioned above (shedding, really high energy, vocal) discouraged me a bit.

I will probably need to get a lot more active if I want to get the type of dog i want to get.

What can you guys tell me about the catahoula leopard dog? Does anybody have one? How much exercise is actually needed?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Huskies are such a buttload of work. I'll be honestly, it's my first reaction to not recommend them to anyone who isn't looking for a very independent, loud, high energy, intelligent (to the point where they will cause trouble for fun) high shedding dog.

Catahoula's are a hunting breed, and an intense one. They do need quite a bit of exercise and can be intense as far as temperament goes (though I know a lot people who have them who wouldn't trade them for anything). I don't know how they go as far as independence and vocal goes though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Huskies are such a buttload of work. I'll be honestly, it's my first reaction to not recommend them to anyone who isn't looking for a very independent, loud, high energy, intelligent (to the point where they will cause trouble for fun) high shedding dog.
That's sad because i always liked them. Then again I never really spent time with one to see how they are.

Catahoula's are a hunting breed, and an intense one. They do need quite a bit of exercise and can be intense as far as temperament goes (though I know a lot people who have them who wouldn't trade them for anything). I don't know how they go as far as independence and vocal goes though
I can deal with the exercise. Depending on how much. I am planning to work on a lot of training too so I'm willing to put the work. I never saw a Catahoula. I'd like to meet one first before I consider but they are such gorgeous dogs and they seem like sweet dogs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts