Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

New here!!! Opinions on these breeders and breeder suggestions

835 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DaySleepers 
Not sure if the first is a scam or not, but I am very concerned that they seem to be much more concerned with taking your money than explaining why their puppies are worth as much as they're selling them for (which would entail health screening on parents, titles in show or sports, accomplishments in working venues, details about the pedigree, how they raise the puppies to give them a head start in adjusting to life with you, etc.). They're also charging extra for certain colors - generally considered an unethical move in most reputable breeding circles - and I'm blown away that they're charging for you to 'meet' the puppies on a stream! All together it just winds up feeling like they care way more about getting money than producing quality pups and finding excellent homes who are a good fit for their dogs.

The latter I'd cross off for the same reason LeoRose said - they boast their male coming from an 'extreme' bloodline and has a body type that is NOT something I'd want to put through agility or even weight pull - those extreme heavy builds with super broad chests don't tend to hold up well in sports. They have no information on any females, which is concerning, nor do they talk about health screening. Their focus seems to be a lot of XXL/exotic type lines, which is the opposite of what you're likely looking for.

If you're looking for a very classic APBT you can try looking at the (very few) kennels listed on the UKC, or even at American Staffordshire breeders here: http://www.amstaff.org/. Because the AKC doesn't recognize APBTs, many Amstaffs are dual registered so they can be shown in the AKC but are actually from APBT lines. Another option would be to look into the American Dog Breeders Association, which focuses specifically on the classic, athletic APBT. I have heard, however, that these dogs are also more likely to be very true to the breed's original 'game' temperament, with very intense energy and a high chance of being aggressive towards other dogs and/or have high prey drive towards small animals. If that's what you want, awesome! But that kind of intensity isn't for everyone. Whatever you chose, you'll want to double check that the breeder is doing appropriate health screening of the parents (knowing the parents have good hips is important if you want a sports dog!), has a solid puppy raising program, provides everyone with quality health care, etc. because sometimes bad breeders can sneak under the radar even in breed club listings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.