1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Crystal-
I have a 2 yr old cat Slugg
5 yr old chihuahua mix Boss
and just got a pomeranian pup Grim, age 12 weeks tomorrow.
I'm having a few issues that are overwhelming me and thought maybe some tips and support might help!
I can't help but first mention that yesterday i had to bring my puppy to the Vet because my cat scratched his eyeball and i saw blood. They tested him and gave me ointment to apply several times a day. He doesn't show any signs of pain or discomfort and i am keeping watch over him very closely. He should be fine and luckily it got the white of his eye so he won't be blind or anything. My question is- should i declaw my cat? he's confusing my dogs because sometimes hes friendly towards them and next hes going for blood. I never thought i'd consider doing this because i feel it may be cruel and painful, but at the same time so is letting this happen to the dogs. He's scratched Boss several times in the 2 yrs i've had him, once on the eyelid which bled pretty bad. My vet said he wouldn't typically recommend this but i should consider doing it. Even the professionals are torn! i am clipping the tips of his nails when i can, i got 2 last night before he wouldn't allow it anymore. I also thought to cap his nails but i've always heard they chew them off and they don't last very long.

Secondly; Boss and Slugg (the original pets) seem to be jealous. I give them individualized attention everyday- petting them, talking to them, and giving them treats but they still show signs of jealousy. Last night, i put my Boss on his bed (which is on MY bed) and thank god i had the light on because i found a big puddle of pee on my comforter from him! :doh: What else can i do about their jealousy? I try to keep them occupied with new toys and chew things etc so they don't get bored- i'm trying my best!

If anyone has any advice i'd appreciate it!

·
Banned
693 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

Either you have to clip all of the cat's nails (wrap him in a towel and extract one foot at a time) or declaw him. I'm actually not against declawing, but then again, I don't really like cats that much ;)

About the jealousy - what signs do they show?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Other than the pee incident and some stare downs it's just a general feeling i'm getting from them. I know that sounds crazy but you know your own pets and i can just tell they're jealous. My moms been over here and kept commenting that they were being jealous, which sort of validated what i had already thought. They climb on my lap to stare at the puppy to claim me, which i try not to allow. It wouldn't be an issue as much as it is if they weren't acting out and being crazy. They are usually well trained, well mannered pets- this is quite the change

·
Banned
693 Posts
I'd recommend removing yourself from the situation (and the room) if they start displaying jealousy. If every time they attempt to "claim" you by climbing on top of you, you just get up and leave, they'll realize that claiming you isn't going to get them what they want.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As far as the cat... what I am gonna say is gonna sound crazy. Bathe him. Even crazier... best way to do this is to get really close to it while doing so (cats believe that if you are right next to them, you are miserable too. This keeps them from trying to use you as a tree!). In any case... most cats are rather worn out and limp after a good bath. Then you can cut the nails really easily while holding them upside down in a towel (like a baby).

FOR LAUGHS ONLY!
First Method

1. Thoroughly clean the toilet.
2. Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.
3. Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.
4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape).
CAUTION: Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any
purchase they can find.
5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a 'power wash and rinse' which I have found to be quite effective.
6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.
7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.
8. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

But seriously, here is one decent link:
http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/ht/bathecat.htm

It really does help to put your face down near them... but make sure your cat is at least semi calm before you try this... unless you have good reflexes.

And wear earplugs... they yell. Mine made my neighbors think I was murdering a newborn baby. Yet she goes totally limp for a bath and there is no struggling at all. My last 2 cats did not go limp... but also resigned themselves to the fact and were very biddable after the fact to being handled in any way I needed to.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would really try to get the cat accustomed to having his nails trimmed before I would declaw him. Have you ever tried having someone help you with his nail trims? I need another person to help me trim my Maine Coon's nails. My husband holds and pets him while I quickly clip his nails.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a very angry nail clipping cat. I wrap his body in a blanket then lean my body against his and hold one paw out and clip. It works fairly well but he will try to wiggle out of my firm grip for a while, but I think he gives up as he realizes he's stuck and I'm determined. If you can try to file the end of the nail to a very blunt shape.

I am lucky though that his idea of play doesnt include his nails. He hits dogs and people with the flat of his paw. He has had moments where he's highly annoyed at our male dog (who is kinda a a$$hat) and tried to bite and scratch him. When he tries to scratch I shake a spray bottle with beads in it and if he doesnt let off he gets sprayed with water. He doesn't really try to scratch as he knows that gets him a spray.

I think give those little nail covers a try before you write it off based on what someone said. Some cats are very determined to get them off and bite them off, some don't care and not bother them so they last. You just have to make sure you glue them down well. It's kinda a two person task. It may work for you, it may not, but I think it's good to try all non surgical options.

I understand why it's an option you are thinking about and I respect that. However, it's a very painful surgery for cats (their claw is actually attached to bone so to remove the claw they have to remove the first digit of his paw) so I just hope people try a few things before doing it.

Goodluck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts