Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a one year old Maltese/Yorkie mix (Morkie) named Rocky. Rocky came to me when he was about 5 months old because his owners were moving overseas and did not want to have to quarantine him. Within the first month, I noticed he had several problems such as tape worms, ear mytes, and a lack of house training among other things... I was told he was up to date on all his shots and was fixed, and then the owners vanished and I never received his shot records, and I discovered he was NOT fixed.... needless to say, Rocky is now up to date on all vaccinations and has been neutered. I attempted to crate train him but that was an absolute nightmare, and I had to nix the crate when I came home 5 days in a row at lunch time to find feces spread all around the crate. We moved on to just staying in the bathroom, uncrated, and seem to have better results... however, the real problem is not solved.

Rocky is the PERFECT dog when NOT alone, if there are other people or other dogs around, he can go all day without having an accident inside. He does not chew on anything, doesn't scratch anything, and only plays with his toys. The minute he is alone, he defecates on the floor. He is also very worked up when I get home and acts like he thought I was leaving him forever. He is never alone for more than 4 hours, and I have read all about separation anxiety and desensitization exercises to build his confidence while being alone .... and I believe that would work, but the problem is that no matter what I do, how much I praise him and refrain from scolding him, he will not defecate outside on a regular schedule. I am lucky if I can get him to defecate at least once a day outside ... I have read all about not scolding him for going indoors while I am gone, and praising when he does go outside... but for some reason, it is such a rare occassion to get him to actually go outside. We go out at the same times every day and walk all around, he drinks plenty of water, when he does defecate his stool is normal and he is on a good quality of dog food. When we go outside, he constantly looks up at me to gauge my reactions and he never has a problem urinating outside, that is instant, but when he comes time to poop he just walks very slow and low to the ground and constantly looks up at me, and after 20-30 minutes of nothing happening, we just go back inside and he is fine again. I don't know if he is just scared of me because in the past maybe he was traumatized after defecating? Or if the separation anxiety is just so bad that he holds it in because he fears for the next time he will be left alone? I have never laid a hand on him or screamed at him so I am not sure why he is so fearful when it comes to defecating outside and if there is ANY way to help improve this?

Does anyone have ANY advice besides the standard praising, exercising, etc tips that I have already tried and still do? I am desperate.

·
Registered
193 Posts
After he finally goes outside, what do you do? Do you remain outside or do you go straight back in? Sometimes dogs will hold it in because they know as soon as they go, they will have to go straight back inside the house. After you finally get him to go outside praise, and stay outside for a while. Make the reward something that he really, really enjoys. Maybe it is a game of fetch, or a walk around the block, toys etc. I think your problem is more complicated because he is also going in his crate which is not normal. Maybe his former owners left him home for long hours at a time and he was forced to do this. You can try stuffed kongs and chew toys with short durations of leaving him alone. Build up the time slowly, it's something that is going to take a lot of patience. Good luck...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When he does go outside, I make sure we continue walking around outside because he loves it. Even if I leave a kong, he hardly touches it when alone. I am going to enroll him
In a doggy daycare and see if that helps. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
He may have been punished (not by you) for pooping somewhere, and as a result he's scared to poop in front of anybody. I wonder if you get a long leash (20 feet or so) so he can get farther away, maybe that would help.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Try a thundershirt, and use that and Melatonin when you go out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts