Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. A friend suggested that I post here because I'm having trouble getting answers about heartworm meds for my Border Collie mix.

We adopted her when she was 8 weeks old & we were sent home with enough Interceptor to last us until now. She's due for her next dose at the end of the month & I just found out that Interceptor has been discontinued. I've gotten different answers from different places & have spoken with 2 vets, an animal hospital, and our own veterinarian.

Does anyone currently use a heartworm medicine (not Interceptor) on their collie that they KNOW is safe? I was told Iverheart was safe from one vet, and dangerous from another. I don't want anything happening to my pup!

TIA everyone.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have a sheltie he is on intercepter rt now i have herd that ivaheart is not good for shelties i know people who give it with out problems
did the vet say why they cannot get intercepter anymore

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Ivermectin is generally safe for dogs with the MDR1 mutation at the doses used to prevent heartworm disease.

From WSU's list of problem drugs:

Ivermectin (antiparasitic agent). While the dose of ivermectin used to prevent heartworm infection is SAFE in dogs with the mutation (6 micrograms per kilogram), higher doses, such as those used for treating mange (300-600 micrograms per kilogram) will cause neurological toxicity in dogs that are homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant) and can cause toxicity in dogs that are heterozygous for the mutation (mutant/normal).

Selamectin, milbemycin, and moxidectin (antaparasitic agents). Similar to ivermectin, these drugs are safe in dogs with the mutation if used for heartworm prevention at the manufacturer's recommended dose. Higher doses (generally 10-20 times higher than the heartworm prevention dose) have been documented to cause neurological toxicity in dogs with the MDR1 mutation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Sassafras. That's what one of the vets told me but the word "neuro toxicity" is so scary to hear!

5S - The company that makes Interceptor has stopped distributing it. There's rumors that it will come back but I'm
not sure if that's true.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I've been wondering about this too. The factory where Interceptor is made has been shut down for several months now. Biscuit has white feet so our first vet, being old-fashioned, gave us Interceptor -- and we've kept her on it because we like it and why mess with success? I don't know what we're going to do when we run out. FWIW, Trifexis has the same active ingredient as interceptor, plus an anti-flea medication.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts