Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there my name is Jessica, i live in Pittsburgh with my daughter Aiyana, kitty Mystery and new puppy Romeo. I have a question about Romeo, i bought him as a pitbull(guy i got him off of found him and thats what he said he was) when i first got him i thought the same but as the days went and the more i looked at him he looked as if he may have been mixed with hound. So i started searching online for brindle hounds and came up with Plott hound with he fits the description of but im not totally sure. So can you fine people check out my album and tell me what you all think. Thnx!

Attachments

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Do you have a link to the pictures? That'd sure help. ;)

Welcome to the forum, btw.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I don't see plott, but the dog is very young so its hard to tell. I thought pit or boxer mix when i saw it,

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I'm with Criosphynx. I don't see even a little bit of Plott, but I could definitely go with Pit or Boxer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive thought about boxer aswell. Things that make me think of him being Plott is he does seem to have webbed toes, his fur is fuzzy like(not curse and shiny like a pit or boxer). His head isnt real boxie and thick either, he looks alot different than my friends pit who is just a week older and female

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
One of the most common breeds for a mutt to be mixed with is a Labrador, so webbed feet are not really a surprise. I think it's going to be difficult for you to tell until the dog is a little bigger, but I think the dog is really missing the floppy jowls and ears of the Plott.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
One of the most common breeds for a mutt to be mixed with is a Labrador, so webbed feet are not really a surprise. I think it's going to be difficult for you to tell until the dog is a little bigger, but I think the dog is really missing the floppy jowls and ears of the Plott.

agreed. You must update us with pics when the pup is older :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like there's Boxer in him for sure. Were you specifically looking to have pit? A boxer/pit mix is a pretty good combination to me. :)
nope i wasnt specifically looking for a pit i was just curious what he could be mixed with. Hes like my new baby hes very laid back and has def taken me as his mama, hes quite attached i cant even got to the bathroom alone most of the time lol

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I don't see plott. We get plotts in the shelter sometimes and they look quite different.

If I had to guess I'd say boxer mix or pit mix. Really he could be a mix of a lot of different breeds.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Looks like a Pit to me but doesn't mean that she isn't a boxer mix or something similar. Will be easier to tell with age.

I can only assume that it is extremely unlikely for your pup (if she is a Pit) and your friends Pit to be of the same bloodlines so of course they would look differently.

About how old is your pup estimated to be?

Pits shouldn't have a thick/boxy head, they are not a head breed but some people breed away from the standard for head size and certain shape like blocky head with short muzzle.

She really doesn't look anymore "houndy" then these Pit pups, actually I would say she looks a little less.

Many Pits grow into their ears, same with Boxers. I've had both with horribly big ears as pups but they turn out to have nice ears once grown. Others will have full drop ears as adults making them look big even though they are no bigger then average Pit. Of course there are some with larger ears just as their are some with tiny ears.

Some people speculate that a little hound was thrown into some of the very early APBT lines, although that would have very little effect on our dogs today it is possible that some of the hound features like big floppy ears, houndish heads and houndy bark/bay could be remnants of that. More likely though it just comes from not breeding to a specific form with so many breeders breeding their own line you would see some traits stronger in one line vs another. There is also with the origins not all the foundation dogs had the exact same mix of breeds. As with any breed they can have conformation faults. If I bred dogs with snippy muzzles together that would be locked in my line but wouldn't mean there is some other breed in my line or the APBT as a whole.

You would have to show what you mean by webbed feet. Many dogs have skin between their toes. With mine it varies some is shallow and others it is all the way to the end of the toe. If you spread the toes it might be what some call webbed. It is very apparent on dogs with flat splay feet. My father had one Pit which seemed to have really webbed feet which was noticed when bathing her. My dogs also have some hair between their toes but it varies with each dog. I took some pics of my own dogs as another poster with a Pit (Kdesire) had a question about the web feet too. I would have to dig them up and post them.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Here is my pup when we first got her

Here she is now, grew into her ears some, I've had em with much bigger ears then hers as a pup

Her breeder actually shipped her as a Plott Hound....lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I googled pit/lab pups and boxer/lab pups and found a few boxer/lab pics that could have been litter mates. He also has spotting on his nose that ive seen mostly in boxers aswell as the way his facial markings are. Who knows though

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts