Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:) Hello,

This is my first time posting. Here is our "story". I had been searching for the perfect 'family dog' since my 14 year old cocker spaniel/terrior X passed away last summer while at the vets for a routine check up. She suffered a severe asthma attack while there and despite all they tried they could not save her. It broke my heart. She was my fur soul mate. I had her cremated and she now sits in an urn inside my china cabinet.

My fiance and I have three children and I know how much it meant to me to have a dog growing up and so I decided to keep my eyes open. A couple of days ago we found the dog we were looking for.

Bailey is cocker spaniel, approximately 12 months old. I saw an AD on KIJIJI posted by a retired couple who were apparently allergic to him. They also said that they were too "boreing" for Bailey and thought he would do best in a home with children and where some one would be home all the time (I am a stay at home mom). They had only had Bailey for a month. I just had this feeling when I looked at the AD. I knew we had to meet him. My four year old and I drove the 45 minutes to see him within a couple of hours of viewing the AD. The first thing he did was run to my son when they opened the door. I knew we had to adopt him. We paid a small fee of $225 and away we went. I called my vet on the way home and was able to get Bailey in to see her right away. He had his check up and was given his vaccinations and a heart worm test. We also booked his neuter surgery which will be done at the end of the month.

He has settled right in. He loves my children and is incrediably gentle. Wouldn't hurt a fly. We have not heard him bark, not even once, since he has been here. Even when people come to the door. He has only had a couple accidents (spraying I believe) the first night. He takes treats very gently from your hands and loves giving kisses and being cuddled. I could not be happier with our decision to adopt him!

We had him groomed yesterday at Petsmart and purchased Eukanuba Adult Maintenace (small kibble) for him. He had been eating Beneful and after doing a lot of research and reading reviews I thought this would be a good food choice for him.

I do have a question though... what 'kind' of cocker spaniel is Bailey. I was told he was a purebred american cocker spaniel (not registered) but he doesn't have the long hair down his sides?? I am just confused and even the groomer was not too sure. She thought maybe enlish, but from viewing pictures I would say he looks more like an american. His weight is 23lbs. Any one have any idea's???

Thanks very much

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
It may be that he has been clipped to keep the coat short for the prior owners. The long show coats take ALOT of maintenence.

He certainly is a cutiepie!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
He is an American cocker spaniel. Mine is the same color and look as yours. I got Blondie 10 years ago. I don't keep her in a 'cocker cut'. I either keep her shaved or all her hair grows. I have done the 'cocker cut' a few times and it looks pretty for the first day unless you maintain it daily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts