Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I'm Rin, 26 years old in Charlotte, NC.

I am a professional petsitter/dog walker at the moment, and I've got two dogs of my own.

We've had Shelby since she was 12 weeks old, in September 2009. We adopted her from the kill shelter when we were living in Jacksonville, NC (My husband was in the military). I grew up with dogs, my husband didn't. But all my parents dogs were adult rescues, I'd never raised a puppy before. It was a great and interesting experience! We are sure she's either a pure herding line or high percentage Australian Shepherd/mix. We located a working line Aussie breeder less than half an hour from our house and he said she isn't one of his pups, but she is most likely from his lines and maybe bred with someone's show type or another herding dog. She's a very serious, focused, dog that takes her 'job' intensely seriously, whatever she decides is her job at the moment. It is hard to get her to relax and just play with other dogs. Personally I like her intensity and sensitivity, but she's not the dog for everyone! Strangely enough, the only other dogs she gets excited about are Aussies, other dogs she pretty much ignores.

Duckie is the new girl, we've had her since June. We wanted a second dog so we put out feelers with a few rescue groups and got a contact from a Border Collie breeder a few towns over who had gotten a call from a friend about a Border Collie cowering on the interstate while the cars flew by. She rescued her and she was in good shape, not hit (thankfully) and she hopped right in her car. She brought her back to her farm and settled right in...except she went right after her ducks with the intent to kill! She contacted me and we went out and looked at her... and introduced the girls and they took to each pretty well. But she's not pure Border Collie for sure, she's crossed with either lab or (more likely to me) pittie. I see it in her face, body type under the fur and just her general attitude, she's super laid back, loves kids, and lives to please, always very submissive and needs approval. We guess she's about two.

Shelby's on the left, Duckie's on the right. They play together all the time and people constantly ask if they're the same breed, related, and so forth... cracks me up since they don't look much alike to me aside from their color and size... different ears, different coat types, different face shapes and builds, even different tails!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Hello and welcome! Your girls are adorable! :) Thank you for rescuing!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Welcome to the forum - beautiful girls you have!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Welcome to DF! Cute dogs. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
They are absolutely adorable! I love border collies - they're so intelligent and loyal. And having two dogs is so much more fun than one. That constant socialization they get is fantastic, and can be very amusing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts