Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for having me and in advance for any help that would be forthcoming. We picked up a 2 yr. old (?) shelter refugee (shepherd; possibly pitbull or chow mix; mainly shepherd) and are looking forward to sharing our experiences. We have probably lost her 5 or 6 times already and are hard at work fortifying the 'compound'. Only my third dog; yet like the other two rescue dogs...each blessedly 'perfect' in terms of trustworthiness overall (beyond breaking wide).

Great forum! :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
helloe and welcome. Do you have a fenced in back yard? What about tying her up when she is outside?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!

If she's anything like my large breed shelter adoptee, even tho we have a fenced in yard, she has been pointing out the weak spots in it, lol! So, until we get it thoroughly fortified (working on completely replacing the chain link with 6' privacy fencing) & I can trust her not to find a way out, I basically only let her outdoors when I'm able to supervise the entire time. Luckily, in my case, she jumps right back over the fence & into the yard when called - so far!
Make sure you have an ID tag with your phone number(s). Is she chipped? If not, I'd do that as soon as possible too. Some dogs really are just harder than others to keep in boundaries.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome; our dilemna is spelled out here: http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/53260-cantilever-gate-7-gap.html

Thanks for the congrats.

I agree that we're lucky also in that when she's fianlly found :rolleyes:...she comes right to us when called.

Our local shelter requires the id chip/tags before release; yet thanks for the reminder to put our number on the latter. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts