Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Guy here with DDB ! pictures and video !

Hello there, I am new here, I own a 14 month old Dogue De Bordeaux named George.....here are some pictures of my boy..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

please excuse the mess in the yard, George destroyed a foam bed minutes before the pictures...when he is motivated he can be quite destructive LOL !

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
When I opened this thread I said to myself DAMN, I hope he has pics.

George is gorg! Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing more about your Bordeaux. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I opened this thread I said to myself DAMN, I hope he has pics.

George is gorg! Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing more about your Bordeaux. :D
feel free to ask whatever you wish ! I am always happy to talk about my boy !

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It's Hooch!!!!

Wow, that's a good-looking dog. Gorgeous.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Beautiful dogue. He looks a bit on the small side, how much does he weigh? I have a friend who has a dogue, about the same age but appears to be quite a bit bigger (160+ lb range).

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Handsome Handsome dog! Welcome to the Forum! Love his big smoochie face.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Beautiful dogue. He looks a bit on the small side, how much does he weigh? I have a friend who has a dogue, about the same age but appears to be quite a bit bigger (160+ lb range).
My boy is 14 months and about 120 lbs, he is 27" tall and absolutely shredded and amazingly athletic....if your friends dog is 160 lbs at 14 months it is way out of breed standard and likely at high risk of having joint problems..Dogues should only end up at around 120-150 lbs full grown and it takes about 3 years for them to fully mature.... my Dogue i hope is just finished growing in height and at 27" is already at the breed maximum... There are many oversized Dogues these days, however the problem is these oversized Dogues run into many health issues, as well they lose their natural athleticism once they get to big...... My Dogue will end up around 150 lbs once he's fully grown, his father was 145 lbs at 2 years old and is in fantastic shape and is extremely athletic,agile and healthy.....I do agree there are bigger Dogues, however I would rather have a smaller Dogue that is athletic and healthy, I have no desire to have to deal with joint or hip issues that come with a oversized Dogue....

Ohhh... Another Mastiff! I love those guys! They look so strong and ruff-and-tuff and "don't mess with me or my hooman and you don't get hurt"... : D I want one! : P

I agree, they are extremely intimidating looking dogs...My dog is quite friendly, however most people can't get over his looks and seem to be very intimidated by him....This dog will stare a person straight in the eyes, and with his yellow eyes has somewhat of a scary look........ I honestly would hate to see my dog ever turn aggressive, he is extremely powerful and athletic and likely would be very hard to handle...good thing my boy has had lots of socialization with both dogs and people...He is becoming a Alpha male but he has a kind nature and would rather bark at a threat then bite.....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I love Dogues! :D I hope to own one later in life. Before I got Chloe and I was looking for a dog, I almost broke my "do not support puppymills" creed because of a Dogue puppy. It was in at the local pet shop in absolutely horrible condition. Its eyes were runny, its nose was runny, it was COVERED in diarreah, and it had no energy. I wanted to just get it out of there and bring it home.

Didn't do it, needless to say. I hope he ended up in a good place and got some much needed vet care.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
.I do agree there are bigger Dogues, however I would rather have a smaller Dogue that is athletic and healthy, I have no desire to have to deal with joint or hip issues that come with a oversized Dogue....
Nitrojedi i couldnt agree more!
George is a prime example of DDB,there are way too many examples of overweight or oversized ones out there (my cousins DDB is going in that direction,shes 3 now)

I think your pooch is one of the best looking/conditioned DDB i have ever seen and he has yet to fill out muscle wise too,i can picture him looking magnificent when he is 2 years old.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
George is a prime example of DDB,there are way too many examples of overweight or oversized ones out there (my cousins DDB is going in that direction,shes 3 now)

I think your pooch is one of the best looking/conditioned DDB i have ever seen and he has yet to fill out muscle wise too,i can picture him looking magnificent when he is 2 years old.
Mr Pooch
Yes it's great when they are within standard, George is gorgeous. Mastiffs to the right Mastiffs to the left how am I going to get through this DF anymore.

I have always told people that dogs grow up till 15 months and then the body matures. The growth can come in spurts but they don't grow taller after 15 mths. All you Mastiff rascals keep the weight off of them as long lives are gooooooood
and when you get something that magnificent longevity is a plan.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

thank you very much.

I am definitely curious to see how George looks when he's done filling out, even now he is a solid brick of muscle with fantastic definition... My pics are with his winter coat, now he has molted his underhair and has fantastic muscle definition, he's unbelievably shredded..... This is my first Mastiff dog, I previously had a Rottweiler, I am shocked by how strong and athletic George is, I had no idea such a big breed could be such an athlete, i was expecting a big couch potato, but George is nothing of the sort...... These are fantastic dogs to own, but they can be very very stubborn and require a fair bit of training and socialization, they definitely have a mond of their own...

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I have never trained a DDB. I have worked 2 Neaps and 4 Bulls and I have never had a bad/stupid one go through the work. One of the Bulls was rescued from a junk yard where the choke collar had fused into his neck and had to be cut and peeled from neck. If any dog should have had a problem he should but he was a big hunk a niceness. Last one trained was last May (Pooch PM elana55 and ask about Maximus the Mastiff) He was a thing of beauty/class and intelligence, I take no credit for the work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts