Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First off, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Cole, and I'm a forum junkie. Naturally, when my wife and I decided to get a puppy, a search for a forum began. I found this place a while back but didn't join until yesterday. Anyway, about our puppy...

I picked up Bernie from a breeder about 4 hours away. She is 9 weeks old today. We have had her since Friday. The last time the breeder had her to the vet was a week ago today. She received a clean bill of health. She is an extremely good pup, already learned to sit, has only pottied in the house a couple of times and will tell us when she needs to go. The ONLY thing that worries me is her breathing. She tends to breathe at a rapid rate, like 100 bpm, mostly noticeable while she's lying down. She's not panting with her mouth open, just rapid breathing. She does rest a lot, I don't call it sleep because she is constantly adjusting position. She also has a tendency to look around and whine and also LOVES to get into tight spaces. I'm sure it gives her that feeling of being with her pack.

She doesn't do the fast breathing all the time, but she does it quite a bit. How long would you suspect the anxiety of a new environment to subside? We haven't changed food or anything and it's just my wife and I, no other pets or children.

I am sure she's just anxious/stressed, but I wanted to ask the community a couple of things. She does very good about going in the crate, and I have the towel with her mothers/litter mates scent in there, but how long do I leave that in there? Is the scent of that adding to her confusion/anxiety? She kind of seems like a depressed puppy sometimes and it makes us sad.

One last thing, how much food should we be giving her? She will literally eat everything but I don't want to feed her too much. We just kind of feed her throughout the day as my wife works from home. We probably give her 1 to 1.5 cups of food per day, but anytime we put food out she goes nuts.

Thanks for any input!
Cole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
721 Posts
Depends on the dog some settle fast and other take some time- I would give a week or so-- have you taken her to the vet yet? It is sometimes a good thing to just get a once over just to be sure.
As for the food with my pups (which are smaller breed then yours) about 1.5 cups is where I started and then had to lower it to 1 cup to keep them in the weight range I would like witch is 20-25 pounds.
This does depend on the food, dog, and energy level as well so you would have to keep an eye on it. It would not be a bad idea to get a scale to keep track of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts