Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I lost my beloved Duke 3 years ago, I've wanted another boxer, but nothing has worked out...until yesterday! I adopted Dempsey (former name: Frankie) from Rockin' P Rescue, and they were great to work with!

I had an embarrassing list of must haves. I wanted a flashy brindle if possible, and I did NOT want a puppy or "teenager". The dog needed to be crate trained, potty trained, neutered, vetted, and a mellow, bomb proof kind of dog (no such boxer, right?? :redface:). Well, Dempsey seems to be all of those things! I was shocked when Rockin' P said they had a dog that fit the bill, to say the least! I figured that they would tell me good luck...

Dempsey's foster mom and dad brought him to our house yesterday for a visit, and my two yappers immediately started tag-team yapping at him, like "get the H*!! out of my house!" - bark, bark, bark, etc... Dempsey just looked at them like, "yea, whatever, where's the yard?" - lol! He LOVES to play fetch - just needs to work on the letting go part - lol! He also needs a little more work on leash manners, but that's typical boxer; the foster mom had already sent him to a trainer for basic training, so he's got a great start.

Currently, he's sacked out in his crate right now, with the door open - yay! He was crated last night (door closed) and not a peep out of him! :clap2: He eats like a horse - the new home didn't deter him from eating one bit last night or this morning.

Because of his age and breed, I know we won't have him forever, but we're sure going to enjoy the time we have! With good care, we're hoping he'll make it at least 5 more years.

The best part: today is Dempsey's 5th birthday! Of course, we're going shopping later for a new collar/leash/food bowl/toys etc.

More pics later. For now, see my signature. He has an unusual brindling - a few smudges of black, in addition to subtle stripes.

I hope the honeymoon phase lasts forever!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm so happy for you. :) I just love boxers, I too got one yesterday. Dempsey is just beautiful. :) Happy B-day to her.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Welcome, Dempsey! None of us knows how long we'll have our dogs; crap happens. We just share the mutual love for as long as we can.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Congratulations!!! Dempsey is gorgeous! They say good things come to those who wait! :D

Happy Birthday Dempsey!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
What a cutie! Happy birthday Dempsy!

How fortunate that you found each other. How do Dempsy and Potsie get along (love both of those names, by the way). My spoo's best park park bud is a boxer named Axel. He's one of the few dogs who will run with her until she drops.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Happy birthday Dempsy!

I think it is lovely that he has come into your home as a new family member and on his birthday! It's great when you find just the right fit for you, isn't it? And he is super adorable - a total cutie!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Happy birthday, Dempsey, what a present you got!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just love boxers, we've always suspected Puck to be part boxer, and I'm hoping our next dog will be one or a mix of one.

Happy Birthday Dempsey! He got the greatest gift ever this year.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dempsey is a real sweetheart, for sure! Potsie and Maddie both hate him so far, poor guy. He's so tolerant of both of them yapping at him; more than I would be, that's for sure. I correct them every time they start in on him; hopefully it'll improve over the next couple of weeks. There's just a tad bit of jealousy going on - lol!

DH and I took Maddie and Dempsey for a 5k walk today, and the poor boy was tired when he got home! He was surprisingly good on the leash - bonus!! I took a pet bottle of water with us (the kind that has an attached bowl to squirt the water into) and he'd drained it by the time we got home. He's out of shape, for sure, esp. in the heat. Fortunately, he doesn't have a super snub nose, so he can breathe pretty well when he gets hot. He was ready to play fetch a little while later though, so no harm done!

Speaking of fetch, we worked on him dropping the toy and not lunging for it when I reach down to get it. That's his worst fault! He grabs for it so fast that teeth meet (my) skin sometimes, so he's not allowed near the toy, once he drops it. We worked for about 20 minutes on dropping it and leaving it today, and he's already improved at least 75% - he's very smart. When he refused to drop it, I walked off and ignored him (game over), which drove him NUTS! That made him improve faster than any treat he could be offered.

We went to Petsmart and got some goodies: collar (colored skull and crossbones - DH's request)/matching leash - unfortunately, he seems to be allergic to it, choker chain for walks (he was trained on a prong collar, but I just couldn't do that), a Kong, a Kong Wubba, a safety harness for the car, a food bowl, a rope toy, and a tennis ball/rope toy. Yea, he's spoiled already.... Dempsey was the perfect gentleman in Petsmart, drawing some attention and petting from total strangers - didn't phase him a bit! He was so patient as I tried umpteenth collars and harnesses on him. At one point, he simply laid down when he got bored - lol! Dempsey also passed the small child test - YAY!!!! The little one (probably 3 years old) hesitantly petted him at his mom's urging (I'd assured her that he was extremely gentle) until Dempsey planted a big slurpy boxer kiss on him - then he wasn't so keen - haha!

I tried out the new car harness on the way home from Petsmart - Dempsey was in the passenger seat of my husband's Miata convertible, attached with the seatbelt to his car harness, and I put the top down to see what he'd do. The dog laid down and went to sleep - amazing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts