Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I am new to this forum. I have a 10 year old black labrador who is sick and I need some help navigating the choices around hip surgery. He desperately needs an FHO or total hip replacement on his left side. Right now he is so miserable that he doesn't want to go outside to eliminate so he lies in his bed all day depressed unless I drag him out. He has recently had some other issues that lead to pneumonia which he is just now getting over. This has further complicated this proposed surgery. Should I do it? He is not overweight and even at his age and having been very ill, still pretty well muscled. I just want to know how to help him. Any advice you have would be so greatly appreciated. So....thank you in advance.

Frances
NYC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,615 Posts
Welcome to DF.
Your poor doggle..he must be pretty pained. Have you seen a specialist? Certainly at ten the surgery would be hard on him, but if he's an otherwise healthy ten and you can afford the surgery, I would find a highly capable surgeon and go for it. Quality of life for our pets is very important. Is he on any pain medication?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying Maggie. I was told by my vet that he needs an FHO and it is clear to me that he does but now I have been reading all this stuff about the recovery and Im a little freaked out. A lot of people talk about how their dog can't recover and they were never told how hard it is ahead of time. He is on low dose aspirin since he cannot take a lot of stuff right now due to his illness. And yes, quality of life is everything - for all of us. So when you put it that way, I don't know what I'm thinking!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,615 Posts
You are welcome. It's difficult with a dog recovering from Pneumonia, and of course, getting up and moving about it good for the lungs..
I would think (but please know I'm not an expert) that a total hip would be better than an FHO, especially if he has any degradation of the muscles in that hip..that the recovery would be faster. I am aware of course that the replacement surgery is likely much more expensive than the FHO.
Low dose aspirin is not going to cut it when it comes to pain relief. How soon do you think you would be able to try better pain relief meds? Knowing whether long term decent NSAIDs would help his quality of life may help decide on whether surgery is truly necessary.
If it were ME, I would do the surgery. A couple of months of recovery and rehab versus the rest of his life laying about depressed and in pain is more than worth it. Again, just my opinion. Like any surgery there are risks, though, so research and a vet who's opinion you trust is important.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I agree that he needs more. The problem is he has a sensitive tummy and likely, the pneumonia came from aspirating vomit into his lungs b/c he was on a much stronger pain killer while awaiting our surgical FHO appointment! It made him sick and then lead to a cascading set of events that now, we are in a tough spot. Its beyond frustrating and now of course, I am worried about the surgery b/c I saw what this illness did to him at this age. It nearly killed him. And the vet at the hospital said another 6 weeks until he can have surgery due to his illness. I just don't know how he is going to get through this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,615 Posts
Have you thought about alternatives to traditional pain relief? There has been some good results with acupuncture, t-touch etc. These are non invasive and drug free, they certainly can't HURT and may be able to get you over the hump here. This may be able to help with the pain and depression while he recovers from the pneumonia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Hello Everyone

I am new to this forum. I have a 10 year old black labrador who is sick and I need some help navigating the choices around hip surgery. He desperately needs an FHO or total hip replacement on his left side. Right now he is so miserable that he doesn't want to go outside to eliminate so he lies in his bed all day depressed unless I drag him out. He has recently had some other issues that lead to pneumonia which he is just now getting over. This has further complicated this proposed surgery. Should I do it? He is not overweight and even at his age and having been very ill, still pretty well muscled. I just want to know how to help him. Any advice you have would be so greatly appreciated. So....thank you in advance.

Frances
NYC
Greetings! I am from NYC also and I've had a lot more experience with Manhattan vets than I would have liked. When my cocker had inflammatory bowel disease my vet at Bide-a-wee suggested we go to New York City Veterinary Specialists on West 55th (?) Street for a consultation. They also have a facility in Queens. Dylan had insurance so we didn't hesitate to take my vet's advice.

I like NYCVS because they work closely with your vet and don't try to take over the case unless you want them to. For instance if you need xrays or an ultrasound and your vet can do it for less money they are ok with that. If I decided my dog needed surgery I would take him to NYCVS for sure. For one thing very few animal hospitals have actual vets in the facility overnight. I found out the hard way that if your animal is sick enough to stay in a hospital overnight you want more than a tech available.

Initial consultations are a reasonable (for NYC) $150 and follow ups are $125. Of course surgery will be costly but I'm sure if you go ahead with it you will want the best.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top