Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fostering a large intact male pit bull from the NYCACC. He passed his SAFER with flying colors and the volunteers really fell in love with him. He's had the best recommendations from them I've ever heard. That being said, I got him from the transport yesterday and he was obviously very nervous. Crouched, tail underneath. But when I got him home, he settled right in. He is very, very calm. Always relaxed, tail is just limp. He gets momentarily excited when I come down to spend time with him and his tail whips around in frenzy and he might jump a bit but settles right down to the most calm unemotional dog. He shows so little body talk. My boxer is super easy to read. You can always see when she's remotely uncomfortable, or if she is going to snap at a dog, or doesn't like other kids. Her body language screams what she is thinking. Joshua on the other hand, is soooo mellow that I have no clue what he's thinking. But he's easy to walk, super chill when we walked past my chickens. Well, he's being quarantined from my kids and dog right now. For kennel cough and to slowly introduce my dog...he's super dog friendly she is incredibly bossy. So I gave him yesterday and last night to decompress a bit and he mournfully howled all night because he was scared and lonely. Today I told my 4 year old, don't make eye contact and approach him. Wait til he came and sniffed her then if I said ok, to put her hand out so he could smell it and then if I say yes she could pet him, underneath his chin. Well, as soon as he saw her he barreled towards her his tail whipping like crazy. He tried to lick her face and kept pushing in towards her. It seemed like he really liked her. Except...he is almost face level with her and keeps looking up at her face, when we walk he's looking up at her face, when we sit he's looking at her face. Its very intense too. But he has a low, medium pace wag while he does it. If he isn't looking at her he's leaning in towards her. When my boxer doesn't like a kid being too rough with her kids, she'll stare at their face and get closer and closer then nips at their face. But there are red flags all over her posture. She is tense, her tail if wagging is pressed down tight, her back legs are little bent, her ears a little back. Its soooo obvious. But Josh seems super relaxed over all. But he certainly doesn't react to me that way and he loooves me. He is hand shy and a little nervous of men when he first meets them and then is fine when he realizes they are nice. But then he crouches, and tail is in tight and he squints his eyes tight. Thats the only obvious emotion. So what do you think? Just really loves kids, or nervous by them. Oh and my daughter listens really well and loves all animals. She was just sooo calm and gentle.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Obviously I can't see it, but it sounds like a typically OMG I LOVE YOU! MUST TACKLE AND LICK YOU! pit bull behavior.
I swear that nearly every one of them I have met (and all of my fosters) had no concept of personal space and just wanted to climb on my lap and a lot of them do have eye contact. Like "look at me, love on me, pay attention to me" They lean, they snuggle, they follow you around the house.

This worries me though:
When my boxer doesn't like a kid being too rough with her kids, she'll stare at their face and get closer and closer then nips at their face. But there are red flags all over her posture. She is tense, her tail if wagging is pressed down tight, her back legs are little bent, her ears a little back. Its soooo obvious.
Why is your boxer even getting half a chance to nip at a kid? The second she shows any of those warning signs, she needs to be completely separated and controlled away from the kid/dog/person she is having issues with.

While nothing you have said indicates that the male pit bull has any tendency to nip, if you let the sort of thing happen with a pit that you (appear) to be letting happen with your boxer, it could mean a death sentence for the pit. People freak out. Hell, people can freak out that a "scary pit bull" bit their kid if the dog LICKS a stranger's kid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh we don't let my dog do that, but it happened in the past the first two times, and those were the signs. If she shows any of the signs, she is immediately seperated. We've been working on it and she's getting better. She never made contact with any kids, but if we see her remotely acting like that its immediate speratation and back to training. It was never a problem til my daughter got older and so did her friends. She is fine with kids under 2, but older than that if they are running around and chasing my daughter or rough housing, Hurley felt she had to protect my daughter. She now knows that kids are off limits and that we are there and we take care of the kids. But we didn't really see it the first time and saw it happen the 2nd time and then we were aware it was a problem and see the signs. And we also tell our friends before they bring their kids over and if particularly loud hyper kids are over, she is just seperated the whole time.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
My dog Pete is superhuman about eye contact. If he's sitting on my lap or bed he crawls right up to my face and just stares into my eyes while usually trying to lick my face. Its a little unnerving (would be alarming in a pit bull!) but he just loves people and loves that face to face interaction. Our other dog Buster loved kids to no end and would stick his face into strollers to look at babies, some kids loved it and some were like AHH MONSTER!! Of course we got that habit under control and he only got to greet kids when invited. Josh probably seems relaxed because he is relaxed, and probably relieved after being in the shelter to find himself in a home.

If you're worried what if your daughter sat on the couch and josh was on the floor for their first greeting? he can smell and lick but not access her face?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a great idea! He is terrified of our upstairs living area it seems. :/ And I just found out he's scared of my 2 year old, because he's loud and makes a lot of noises, but i'm hoping he'll get used to it. He can be very skittish. But still seems drawn to my daughter. I'll have her sit downstairs in a chair and him on the floor and see how that goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts