Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks, I and others have seen a stray cat around the area. I'd just caught fleeting glimpses but when we discovered that she was "living" in one of our buildings, I decided to try and catch her as she wouldn't likely survive long with coyotes OR my dogs. Today I was successful in getting her. She seems quite young. My two cats, Max and Gus, seem like mutant monster cats in comparison. She's very sweet and loving. Has no interest at this time in play at all. She is now crated away from Max and Gus. The crate is big enough for a litterpan, food, water, a bed and some toys. She has plenty of space to move around. I'm sure she has worms as she's had to be living off of mice and such all this time...I don't want her using my cats litterboxes because of that. We are fostering her right now. I'm trying to find her "owner", which I'm sure is pointless as she probably doesn't have one or trying to find her a forever home. She is incredibly sweet...

Here is her picture:

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterday, she really started to come out of her shell a bit. She was more interested in exploring her environment and I got her to play a bit. I don't think that she really knows how to play but she's trying. I've always found it sad when a puppy or a kitten acts like "play" is a foreign concept to them. :( I understand though as her priority was survival instead of the enjoying the fun things in life...like playing as a kitten should. She has a neat little personality and I'm sure I haven't see all of it yet. She's sweet but extremely stubborn at the same time. She's terrified of dogs. Just the sight of Eddie or Uallis, she gets defensive. I'm hoping to find her a home that is dog-free. Other cats...I think she could adjust to them. She confuses me about it. Sometimes, she ignores Max or Gus and others...she gets crabby around them. I think she just needs some time. My cat, Gus, hates other cats besides Max...so he's purposely being a jerk around her. Max, though, is interested but is giving her space. He doesn't seem to mind her as much.

I was worried for a bit because she didn't use the litterbox for over 24 hours (as long as I had her at that point) but she FINALLY went last night. No sign of worms yet in her stool. I gave her de-wormer yesterday and she'll get another dose in 10 days. She has a very hearty appetite and literally "attacks" her food, eating it very fast. I've been giving her small, frequent meals. I was expecting some loose stool from her because her diet did suddenly change from whatever she was eating before (animals) to TOTW but her stool are solid and normal looking. She seems very healthy. I didn't find any signs of mites, fleas or ticks. Her eyes look a tad bit irritated but not too bad. Considering how long she's been on her own (at least 3 weeks or so), I wasn't expecting this good condition.

The next step is seeing about having her spayed and vet checked. I'm worried that she could go into heat at anytime and I can't have that. lol

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You'll also want to get her FeLV/FIV/HW tested to be sure she is healthy. FeLV and FIV are contagious to other cats (via scratches and bites, sharing food/water bowls.. though the chances are low).

She's a cutie btw! Are you sure your not going to end up with another cat? She would likely adjust to the dogs given time. :p

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll also want to get her FeLV/FIV/HW tested to be sure she is healthy. FeLV and FIV are contagious to other cats (via scratches and bites, sharing food/water bowls.. though the chances are low).

She's a cutie btw! Are you sure your not going to end up with another cat? She would likely adjust to the dogs given time. :p
Yep, that will be included in the vet check. :) My own cats have been tested and vaccinated for FeLV and they haven't even had physical contact with her (just visual), do not share food or water dishes or even the same litterbox. She is crated when not directly supervised with all the necessities. I did that partly because I don't know her history (I have to protect my own cats) and also because I don't want to overwhelm her by exposing her to quickly to too many different things, or upset my cats unnecessarily. It will be a slowish transition. :)

I'm not really interested in having a 3rd cat honestly. I would be able to give her up to the RIGHT home but cats are really hard to place...so it is a possibility that she could be here for a long time or never go anywhere at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts