Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kit hasn't closed her eyes all evening. But we haven't done much together, either. What's occupying her attention, you ask? A giant fly is buzzing around my room. Mostly she's just tracking its movements, but every time it gets close to her, she snaps at it. I wonder if I could capture one next time I need a night to myself.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
just leave a piece of meat rotting in the corner of the room and a window open, you'll get all the flies you need :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
just leave a piece of meat rotting in the corner of the room and a window open, you'll get all the flies you need :)
Alice loves to stalk flies - and june bugs when in season. The other day Ray pounced on and killed a mouse - turned to me with a funny expression on his face and a little tail hanging out the front of his mouth before he spit out the corpse. . Good dog!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Here she is as a pup chasing a fly into the wall.

A few weeks ago chasing a fly:

flyhunter by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr
Ha! Thats a great picture. Sydney has been having fun with the frogs and toads and worms that have been appearing with all the rain. I've never before seen a dog try to jump back between their own legs. Silly children!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel will chase flies, crickets, moths, and mice. He kills the crickets and one of the two mice I've seen in the house, the flies and moths he hasn't managed to catch but will chase them around for a bit. He grows bored with the flying pests pretty quickly though. The mouse that got away... that kept him occupied for a few hours trying to find where it was hiding. I joined in on that search because I wanted it dead too, no luck.

It's funny with the crickets and the mouse he caught. He smacks them repeatedly with his paws until they are dead and them looks questioningly at me when they stop moving. "Why did my fun new toy stop being fun?"

·
Registered
389 Posts
Plume chases be-winged creatures too. Birds especially. Plume is no brainiac, I'm sorry to say, but she is brainy enough to know that they have wings and she doesn't. Once she flushes a bunch of birds and they whisk off with a rustle of feathers, she looks startled and puzzled for half a second and then continues on to ...

...sniff, potty, sniff, sniff, sniff and try to ingest something on the ground nasty and rotting.

No mice in the picture yet, thank God.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
A fly caused my lovely dog to NQ on a lovely open run where he has a 194 and first place!!! He started snapping at it on his 3 minute out of sight sit stay. He didn't leave position, but moved enough to NQ. VERY DEPRESSING! I no longer find fly-chasing amusing!!!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! I've seen a dog get an NQ for chasing a pigeon that swooped down into the ring during his run. It was kind of hilarious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts