Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 yr old husky Shepard mix and she has been having issues lately with throwing up after she eats but she keeps water down. Took her to the vet for the day and they sedated her and did x rays and it shows nothing more than irritated stomach and upper intestine. The vet told us that a diet change was in order and that we would have to use some meds to help cure the irritation in her stomach and the diet would do the rest to help with her sensitive stomach. We normally feed her Purina dog chow and the vet gave us some royal canin canned food as well as a white fish and potato dry food. Anyone ever have any similar issue with their dog and have the diet change help to correct the problem? any insight or other experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My dog has IBS, I had her on royal canin ( as that was what i could get in new Zealand at the time) she would throw up, refuse it or not put on any weight as she was super thin. I have switched her to taste of the wild now i live in australia its easy to find. and she is doing great. I also give her raw kangaroo mince (human grade not frozen pet stuff) and she even keeps that down. Once your dogs tummy settles it will be pretty easy to manage you just need to watch out for what treats you give her etc. if she has a bout of an upset tummy I give my girl mushed pumpkin or boiled chicken and rice. It's something to eat and super easy on the tummy. My dog is just like any other dog now and doesn't even seem to have a problem. There are lot of good quality fish and potato foods. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com and you will find something in your price range in the 5 and 6 rated category. They're really what you need to be looking at. What food did the vet give you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vet gave us royal canin. she hasnt eaten anything yet due to being kinda still sedated when we brought her home last night. The vet gave us a pills to give her to help with the irritation of the stomach and upper intestine. Got her to take it last night but this morning she wasnt having it I think its because I woke her up and she was laying down but the little pill gun I got from the vet works pretty good when she is sitting. I was looking around and I saw on here people were saying natures balance is pretty good food and the vet said either the white fish and potato or the venison and potato varieties were alright. She also has us mixing canned food with the dry. My dog has never had canned before so I am not sure how this is going to go over. So we will see as this is only day two of the whole process how things progress I just need to get her to eat and keep it down and I think I will be a little less worried about the situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well she ate about a cup and a half of food yesterday afternoon but nothing today this is very hard for me. I cant get her to take her meds and none of the regular food tricks are working because she has no desire to eat. i am becoming very nervous i may have to put her to sleep and its really tearing me up that she was fine the other day and now its looking like it could be the end im going to call the vet tomorrow and ask for some more input.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hang in there! it was hard for me too, my dog went 4/5 days without eating a single thing once. Does she have to have the medication with food? If not then your just gonna have to do it the hard way and make her swallow it. I think you will find that with the medication she will feel better and it will get easier. That being said you have to get it down her. I had the same thoughts that you did, and here I am 6 months later with a perfect dog. I am also a vet nurse (vet tech as americans say) and that made me feel even worse because I felt useless despite working in a clinic all day and helping other peoples pets I could nothing to help my own! There are all sorts of things you can try feeding her, I know I tried nearly everything.
To start with try some of these, Boiled chicken, mashed pumpkin or sweet potato (my dog loves this and its so good for her tummy) boiled fish( you mentioned the vet said fish) rice with chicken or sometimes I just cook the rice with stock. Hand feeding helps if you haven't tried that. She will eat when she is starving. I remember some days getting a quarter cup down her was success. I just used to act super excited at feeding time and it helped. I also used to feed her little amounts like 5 times a day. This is the hardest part but you just have to get through this and it will be ok! Hope the call with the vet goes well and he can give you some more help! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess im going to have to start being more aggressive with giving her the pills. She ate wednsday she had bout cup and a half or so of ground turkey and boiled potato and that stayed down. Vet called us for a follow up yesterday and said that we have to keep trying to get her to eat and to just be persistant to keep offering her food and that if she wont willingly accept the pills with any food tricks because she has no appetite then we need to just force em down the hatch carefully with this pill gun thing so she doesnt bite me. i hope something works out so i dont have to lose my puppy dog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well went back to vet this afternoon and she did another quick xray and the instestines have gotten better but the stomach is showing like she ate something she shouldnt of and it itsnt allowing food to pass thru her stomach so now she is on a liquid diet for the weekend and they are going to do a surgical proceedure monday morning and get it out. Now that I think back she may have eaten the cloth stuff off of a tennis ball and has collected up and filled her stomach up. im hoping that the sugery goes well for my dogs sake because besides this new issue she is still a healthy dog

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She should be fine. My old dog ate an entire teddy bear and had to have surgery, and he lived 11 years after that. Internet hugs to you, I know this is scary. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it didnt turn out well it actually was a tumor between the stomach and small intestine so they couldnt remove it so unfortunately i had to put her to sleep. gunna miss my dog she was the best dog i could of asked for. she was my co worker in everything i did in the yard on the vehicles in the garage and any work on the house she was right there supervising its gunna be hard not seeing that face or tripping over her when im trying to do something

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts