Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to come up with vacation ideas that dont include abandoning my new best friend, Indy, at a kennel for a week. (he's a 40 lb 10 month old jack Russell mix)
I live outside of hartford ct. Indy is great in the car but our longest trip so far was one hour and I don't see him staying calm for a really long drive. Flying isnt an option.
I don't think he's ready for a big city trip to new York or Boston.
I think some kind of camping like trip is our best bet. Im outdoorsy but I haven't been on a real camping trip since I was a small child. I'm not opposed to tent camping but I'm pretty addicted to things like beds, showers and flushing toilets.

Any suggestions on where to go and what to do?

Oh yeah Indy loves to swim

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Have you considered Maine or Rhode Island? Lots of beautiful coastal towns along the ocean that you can walk your dog on.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Cape Cod is extremely dog friendly. I like to go off-season however as it can get very very crowded during the summer. Dogs are allowed on most of those beaches year round. There's also a pretty amazing beach in Westport near Horseneck that allows dogs.

RI is in general much less dog-friendly, but Newport is fun to take the dogs, it's a cute little city with lots of little shops and shore. And of course you can take the cliff-walk. Block Island I hear is dog-friendly too, but I've never been there.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Bar Harbor in Maine is pretty dog friendly.

There are tons of camping places in the Adirondacks in NY and also cute towns to visit (Lake Placid, Saratoga).

·
Registered
545 Posts
We're heading to Cape Cod in a couple weeks with 3 dogs. It's supposed to be a very dog-friendly town. If you're not sold on staying in a tent, you could always rent an RV if you want to camp. Otherwise, check out VRBO.com to find vacation rentals. You can find anything from cabins to apartments to houses and many of them are dog friendly.

ETA: Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Island are also very dog-friendly. Your pooch is even allowed on the ferries and public transportation if it's leashed or crated.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We were amazed at how pet friendly Bar Harbor was - even the sandwich shop staff insisted we take Hamish in. There are some great walks in Acadia and all over Maine. MV is also pretty good but there are a few nature reserves which don't allow dogs - Hamish usually stays in the car on the ferry but we've seen a number of dogs on the decks (only place they're not allowed is the cafeteria).

Last time we visited Newport a lot of people warned us against taking Hamish on the Cliff Walk because of poison ivy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts