Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the plan. We are getting our new fur child May 11th :) He is a Miniature Schnauzer, Mostly black with some silver. (we lost our fur child April 3rd of this year and are currently fur less)

I have a serious spine injury and bending over to pick up items is very hard for me to do as well as quite painful. After talking to several dog trainers and vets I have decided due to lack of dog training people in our area (hick town usa lol) to train this dog to pick up items for me. I drop items at least 5 to 8 times a day and on a bad day more.

The trainers & vets I have talked to have assured me that training him (Romeo) to do this task is something I can handle on my own.

I am however open to ideas, tips, your experiences etc. I am also sure I will have questions as we go through this process. So I decided to open a thread about it for me to post questions and for members to post their advice etc in.

I am hoping to attract some members that are experienced in training of dogs that will follow me as I go. Of course ALL members are welcome to follow us as well :)

Speaking of trainings/more experienced people I am seeking a specific member. I joined here before under a different user name (this one is my real name) and she was most helpful to me and even lived in my area - Indiana Pa. I can't recall her full user name but it was something like Star something...maybe Star Fish? Any tips about her are appreciated.

The title says DOGS. We had a mini schnauzer years ago and loved the breed! However I also have wanted a Boston Terrier for MANY years. So we plan to get this new guy settled in and then this fall or maybe next spring get a female Boston Terrier and name her Juliet :clap2:

We will train (we are myself and hubby, no kids at home but 5 grandkids visit quite often and stay with us off and on and get very involved with our pets since they have none of their own) both the dogs for the same purpose. Our reasons are so not 1 dog is always "on duty", both dogs are treated/trained the same.

Plus we have another "glitch" in our lives we hope the furs kids will be able to help with. My hubby age 48 has Dementia :( What his needs will be down the road remain to be seen. My hope/plan is that 1 of the dogs attaches to me and the other to him and then we can do further training accordingly.

Please don't misunderstand me, the main reason for getting the dogs is to LOVE. We don't want a full time service dog per say. We want pets. However in the midst of loving them we plan to train them in small ways to help assist us as well.

I will keep this thread updated as we go :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Good luck! Pets are such a blessing. Be sure to inform the breeder what you want your Schnauzer to do, and go for a dog that is toy and food motivated. They are not natural retrievers, so you'll have to work a bit. They are, however, very intelligent. I had one for 17 years :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I find this a wonderful thing. There is nothing IMHO better than loving your dog and giving your dog a job to do. It helps with humans and dogs needs all the way around ... and makes your dogs life a pleasant and fulfilling one!

I know my Schnauzer mix dogs were/are very intelligent ... for what it is worth. :)

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Foyer - we picked him from a pic but when we met him at 5 weeks old, he was the only of the 4 pups that would play with the woobie (blanket) we took down for him. We were very open about our intent for his life with us and the breeder assured us we picked the right pup for the job :)

*We took him a woobie to sleep/play with with his siblings and mommy to get their scents on and hope it will help him when he comes home with us. We did this before with another dog and had great success with no middle of the night crying and such.

Abby - Those are our same thoughts!!!! I honestly think getting 2 is best with our situation, so like I said 1 is not a full time service dog. Also we want them close together to learn that they are a team :)

I also think the 2 breeds we picked are a good choice as they are both strong dogs. Not strong like a large dog, but if they were I could not handle them on leases and such as of my spine injury. But both breeds are strong muscle wise to be able to do the tasks we plan to train them for.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That's great that you were upfront with the breeder! My other tip would be to have you be the primary caretaker- you feed the dog, and do most of the training. That way, Romeo bonds with you the most. And the other way around for Juliet :) That is what I have done, and my puppy (now 11 months old) is very attached to me, while still enjoying other people, I know he would work for me without being distracted by others.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Foyer - I am going to be the main person for both the fur kids. Hubby has dementia (age 48) and can not handle training.

Friday is coming soon!!!!! I am getting super super excited :D

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I hope to see pictures of your new additions too! :) ... That is after you get everybody settled in and all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts