Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just recently got a Pit/Lab mix and he was a rescue from the shelter after being a stray. I don’t really know how to go about getting him to do normal dog things. He just likes to sit in a corner and look sad. He doesn’t really respond to petting, cooing, treats. When we put a leash on him, he won’t budge to get led outside. It’s been 3 days now and we don’t know what we might be doing wrong or if this is just how dogs like him adjust.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Your not doing anything wrong.... there is an adjustment period for the dogs. some dogs first experience in life , they don't know what humans are for , so they don't know to communicate to you, or that you are communicating information to them. Lots of kennel dogs don't know anything, they wont take a treat, don't know what toys are they don't know the concept of learning.. so you try not to overwhelm them and focus on working towards skills that you will need to care for them with the bare basics.. feeding, going out to potty, that they have a space to sit back and feel safe taking everything in, work on simple things like grooming (brushing) , focus and eye contact when your talking to them simple one on one time .. Each dog is different... so there no set time frame, you start from the very basics as you would a puppy...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would you recommend getting him to get outside to potty? The only way he has gone outside is if we physically pick him up (and he’s a good medium sized dog) and take him out of the bedroom and THEN he walks but reluctantly. I just feel like that is intense but I don’t wanna push him too hard.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You may try this technique. Don't feed him from a bowl. Instead, feed him from hand. He will follow his nose. Lure him to go outside. REWARD for any advancement or try. Eventually, you can bring in the collar and leash. As he becomes more confident and responsive, then you can begin tapering the hand feed. Do this when kneeling on one knee to come down to his level.

If he doesn't respond, withhold the food. Eventually, he will move. Probable very hesitant, but a reward is given. Small bits of kibble is enough, just need a smell and a taste.

Trust that he won't starve himself. Nature will drive his stomach and nose. These will be keys to opening his trust with you.

AS a stray, he does not know or trust humans. Remember, small steps and reward. Build the trust.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
I agree that I would feel it is intense needing to pick him up, and not be happy for having to do it. But I have had to do it that way and feel awful for it. My set up now is fully fenced right out the back door to be able to open the dog room with them dragging a long line with a straight path out the door. How ever you can do it like you said trying to not be too invasive so they can relive themselves lots affection and praise... Main thing is setting up a consistent schedule and see if you can work on follow me inside the house for skill building.. I don't use their meal food (withholding it) as training... they should build the security to get their full meals consistently without interference. maybe a higher worthy food could be tired for lure training. Only been 3 days.. your willing to be patient. Once outside instead of trying to walk get yourself long line and sit down relax to spend longer out with them and let your pup move on their own. Normally I would bring a book to read but now I would bring my tablet to watch a movie or do FB to pass the time..

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
You might contact the Rescue and ask if they have any insight into his interactions ... The worse they can say is he didn't interact in the Rescue.

Another option is to ask a friend with a gentle and socialized Golden Retriever or small pitfall that is gentle with other dogs to come over. Let the dogs meet through the fence in the backyard, and ask the friend for advice.

If you don't know anyone, you might try a store such as PetsMart or PetCo. Many of the clerks have dogs that may help, plus these stores may have individual training sessions that may offer ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts