Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beagle/red heeler (I think) and he's about 8 and is very, very, very passive. If dogs run at him to play/investigate he runs away. He's scared of everything. Anyhow, he stays with my father and they decided to get another dog. Its a 3 week old yorkie.. it is tiny (like the size of two fists at the most)

It wants to play of course so it jumps at him and he just runs.. all over the house. This dog could chase him for an hour and he would not stop running. I don't know what to do, he seems to be deathly afraid (coming back from outside he seems nervous and looks around the corners) - he is also scared of the cat that lives here. He will sit down the hall and not walk by until the cat leaves. That cat is a recent addition as well.

Is there anyway to make him more friendly? I need help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
He's 8?? What happened through the years with his socialization training and confidence building? Do you want to tackle that now or just accept him the way he is?
I have to be honest...at eight this is alot of work...every day for months.

I can't believe your dad has taken a 3 1/2 week old pup.....he's asking for major trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright.

I understand all of you are super dog folks and are really enamored with dogs and whatnot but my family is not - and by that I don't mean we love them unconditionally and treat them fantastic!!

What I'm saying is I would prefer some advice and not criticism.

Anything I can do to make the older dog feel more comfortable (and less scared) would be great.

The puppy is 9 weeks, not 3. I was wrong. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I would highly suggest entering your older dog in a socilization class at a local kennel club or dog training school. and enter the puppy in puppy classes.

the ONLY way to teach a dog not to be scared of new and different things is to bring them around new people white black yellow brown children seniors men wemon, all people who you know will good to your dog. And bringing the dog to lots of new places ( dog training classes are great for this)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
No, there is no quick way to make him friendly towards the pup. This is not a problem with friendliness... this is a problem that started years ago with under-socialization. He has serious fear and anxiety issues.

You can try to address the older dog's socialization now with desensitization training and socialization classes, but it will take months and months of consistent training. You have to decide if you're prepared to do this. I'll be honest -- you'll never reach a point where the heeler is playing or totally comfortable with the pup, the cat or strange dogs. But with a lot of work you can reach a point where the dog will tolerate being near other dogs.

Honestly, I would just keep the two separated. The heeler is terrified. Keep the dogs in different parts of the house or give the heeler a room where the pup is not allowed to go. In the meantime, do research and socialize your new puppy so that it isn't as fearful when it grows up. Now is the perfect time to start.

These links will help:
http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/earlysocialization.html
http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/socialization.html

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would stop the puppy from jumping and chasing... I know he's a puppy and that's what they do but maybe you can try to re-direct play time towards you or your dad. It's very sad to me that the older dog feels tormented in his own home.
The pup should learn to be gentle / like if you had a newborn... you would teach this. If the older dog sees that the pup is calm around him... eventually he will not fear the pup.

I'm sure in time they will become great friends... it will take some time and work though.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would stop the puppy from jumping and chasing... I know he's a puppy and that's what they do but maybe you can try to re-direct play time towards you or your dad. It's very sad to me that the older dog feels tormented in his own home.
The pup should learn to be gentle / like if you had a newborn... you would teach this. If the older dog sees that the pup is calm around him... eventually he will not fear the pup.
Easier said than done... It's in a puppy's nature to play, play, play. To investigate new people, animals and objects. Unless you keep the pup separated from the older dog, the pup is GOING to be over there sniffing the heeler, if not jumping all over it and chewing its ears. No bones about it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think I'd separate them... I would tether the pup to me so he could learn to approach the older dog calmly. The older dog needs to feel comfortable when the pup is around, when this happens he'll come around on his own.

Have you tried walking them together as well?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
No offense, but I find it kind of weird that you'd take on a new puppy in a house with a dog who is known to have problems with other dogs. It just doesn't seem fair to the existing dog.

Honestly, classes would be great, but not everywhere offers a socialization class. You might want to look into a private trainer or behaviorist.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I don't think I'd separate them... I would tether the pup to me so he could learn to approach the older dog calmly. The older dog needs to feel comfortable when the pup is around, when this happens he'll come around on his own.

Have you tried walking them together as well?
Yeah, for sure, but at this stage it doesn't even sound like the heeler is comfortable being in the same room as the puppy. Walking together sounds out of the question as well.

Like I said, desensitization is definitely an option but it will be a tough and protracted process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts