Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our dog last week. She's such a sweetheart but doesn't seem interested in playing with any of the toys we got her. She is a lap dog. The moment we sit down she is either in our laps sleeping or laying down next to us. She's 2 and we're not sure of her past history like if she was ever taught to play or if she was given any toys.

She doesn't seem interested in chew toys or chasing after balls. She seems kinda afraid of them. She does like chasing me around the house so I will run around and hide from her and she gets very excited to find me. Any advice on how to get her to start playing more?

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Let her settle in for awhile. So long as she isn't chewing things that she shouldn't be chewing on, then she might just not be a big chewer. By 2, she's past the puppy stage for that at least. Try a really enticing chew toy like a peanut butter stuffed Kong or a raw meaty bone (start training the "give" command and read the sticky on resource guarding to prevent any problems from the start)

She probably doesn't know what toys are, but some dogs just aren't big on toys. Having her chase you and playing hide-and-seek (with her finding you) is a good and fun game. You can use the "chase" game to practice her recall (come back when called), just don't let the game turn into you chasing her since that can teach her that it is fun to run away from you (annoying and unsafe). Some dogs like tug and more interactive toys, some prefer chasing balls or frisbees, some like the puzzle toys etc.

If she came from a shelter/rescue, it can take 2-4 months before she gets completely used to her new environment and shows her true personality.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree. Some dogs take longer to settle in and start showing their personality. And, some dogs aren't big players. One of mine is, she lives for fetch, and loves to wrestle with our other dog and play chase with him. But, the other one, he's lazier, and is usually happy snuggled up with us. When he does want to play, it's sitting next to us, playing tug. Oh, there is the occasional game of chase in the yard, he does enjoy that. But, he's pretty lazy overall!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts