Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find the best breed for my family and I am looking for any information or advice anyone may have! I have two small children 3&5years old they are good with animals and have been taught how to treat a dog by their daycare provider who has two dogs at the daycare. I work daily and will be away from the home. I am looking for a dog that is good with children can be left alone without separation anxiety, also one that does not shed alot, preferably low grooming maintence and not real hyper active. I want to be able to make this dog a part of the family there for trying to be selective. My two children can be hyper active enough that's why I'm looking for a dog that isnt crazy hyper. Our family has never owned a dog but my children are ready and willing to take care of one. I love lap dogs and want a small inside dog. Any information or advice anyone may have is so appreciated because I am not well educated about breeds of dogs! Thank you so much for you input!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
First things first: you want an adult dog. All puppies are hyper, for the same reason your children are hyper. Also, housebreaking is a time consuming pain in the butt it sounds like you don't have time for.

Now, any dog you get will need to be walked 30 - 60 minutes a day, at the very least, and will also need training and attention. There's no getting around that. Do you have time for that? If not, you don't want a dog.

If you do have time to keep up with a dog, I would recommend contacting a rescue that fosters their dogs and being clear about your needs. They can find you an adult dog that is good with kids and not too high energy.

As to shedding, dogs shed. Some breeds shed more than others, but all dogs shed and require grooming. In fact, the least shedding dogs require the most grooming, i.e., poodles, etc. So it's a trade off, do you want to deal with hair shedding everywhere, or do you want to pay to have the dog groomed every 6 weeks? It's up to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An adult dog does sound like what I need. As for the daily walk yes I can do this me and my kids like to walk around our neighbor luckily we live in a great one! So taking our dog along would be great! I would also take the high maintence grooming over the shedding! I live in a very small town so our animal shelter really didn't have any dogs but I'm checking back often! Thanks for the reply! And when I do finally find our family dog I definatly will let everyone know! :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
An adult Lab can be an excellent starter dog. A rescue dog may already be trained and good with children, with an energy level to match them without being hyper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts