Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I come from a long line of cat and small animal owners. I have 3 cats, my husband had always had cats as a kid, his father is a guinea pig owner (we also have 2 guinea pigs). My experiences with dogs ranged from the family Chow Chow, which we got when I was 8, and various neighborhood dogs. When I moved out at 18, I left the Chow Chow with my family, as she was the family dog. I'm 31 now and I have not in the space of more than a decade owned a dog. We've always had cats.

My children are 11 and 8, a boy and a girl. I'm a stay at home mom, and my husband works long hours. He is supposed to work 4 10 hour shifts, but often gets asked to work extra and lately he's been working 5 & 6 12 hour shifts. I'm glad the kids are out for the summer, but when they are in school I get lonely. Our 3 cats are wonderful pets, but they're extremely independent. I'm the "food bringer" and the "potty cleaner" and the "target" to be dive bombed from high places. My tom, we have 2 girls and a boy, all are fixed, don't want kittens, likes to be near me. When I'm at the computer, he'll sleep on the desk, when I'm on the couch, he'll sleep on the back of it, but none are really affectionate unless they want something.

I asked my husband if we could have another baby, he said, "How about a dog?" His reasoning is we don't have to put a dog through college and we don't have to buy it a car when it turns 16. So, I went on the search for a dog but I didn't know what to look for. I didn't want another Chow (even though ours was a great dog, very smart, very spoiled, never lived up to her vicious reputation) because I wanted a "lap" dog. I wanted around 10 lbs, no bigger than 20 lbs. I wanted calm, non-barking, (our neighbors have well behaved dogs that don't bark, and I respect their peace and quiet) and long hair. I don't mind brushing, but I have cats that shed year round regardless if I brush everyday. I went to shelters, looked on petfinder.org, asked everyone if they knew a good breed that fit my needs and wants in a dog. Someone suggested a Pekingese and up until about a week ago, I'd never heard of the breed. I read up about them and totally fell in love. I know they are susceptible to breathing and heat problems, but I'm fine with that responsibility.
So we are now proud owners of Auriel.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8PUe06eQrTMJcpf1i_veZGMdjQdIdN9NNqzqSiF_LoY?feat=directlink

She's 10 weeks and we've only had her a few days and already a wonderful dog. Her and I are getting a crash course in potty training. We've had a couple of accidents, they were my fault. I didn't know if she was exploring or needing to go. She crates overnight very well. My cats are taking extremely well to her, no hissing or spitting, they're just wary. Grooming is a challenge, she keeps trying to chew on the brush and won't hold still. I've started to wait until she naps, then brush.

·
Registered
90 Posts
She is a cutie! I have two Pekingese, Juicy is six months old and Sassy is 3 months old. I love the Pekinhese breed! They are awesome little dogs.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I've heard they are high maintenance but I have the time and patience and other things required in dog ownership, just not a whole lot of experience beyond what I learned from my parents and the family dog. She's walking on a lead surprisingly well, but I'm also blaming that on the fact she follows me where ever I go on or off lead. Having her is a lot like having a toddler all over again. Auriel gets into everything! I'm enjoying every minute of this.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh! What lovely babies! They are so beautiful! I understand the crappy cell phone quality. Its the only camera I have handy. Usually by the time I dig out the digicam, whatever was the reason I went to get it is over.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The potty patch (like a patch of grass) worked great for us potty training. They liked to "kill" their pee pads! Lol can't wait to see more pictures of her! And yes, that is the Sam reason most are cell phone pics, I always have that handy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts