Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have wanted a dog for such a long time, and now we have one. She is a tiny 3 pound chihuahua, her name is Cutie. I got her as an adult about 4 months ago. I thought she was housetrained, but.....
So, that is what I'm doing here. I'm hoping for some guidance and support as I try to teach Cutie that it is not ok to pee and poop in the house.
Looking forward to being here!
Natalie J

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
LOTS of supervision is the short answer. There is probably a sticky on it under the First time Owners Forum (look up at the top, or do a Search this forum)... I know teeny dogs can be problematic .....you have to predict when they are going to go, and catch them Before they go (without being scarey or punitive so you can redirect onto a pee pad or appropriate area)...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Natalie,

Welcome! Cutie certainly sounds like a cutie.... I am awaiting some photos so I can see! :)

I know what you mean by, "I thought she was housetrained, but..."
I am in the process of housetraining my puppy, but I remember my previous dog was a little back-and-forth with housetraining up until he was about 6mo old. I remember being elated when he did his business as trained, but feeling devastated the next day when he would fail to tell me he had to go and peed on the carpet instead. I remember constantly wondering, "What am I doing wrong? What am I not giving my puppy? Am I incompetent as a dog owner?" It turns out that I was not doing anything wrong other than not constantly supervising him. I learned that I had to watch my puppy like a HAWK even though he 'knew' to use the bathroom outside!

I talked with my aunt about it in tears because I thought that I was not raising my puppy right. She gave me a great wake-up call: A puppy will be a puppy. He will have accidents and he will not learn things linearly, just the same way humans may make a few mistakes even if they know what they have to do. Sometimes, the accidents will happen, but know that the puppy is doing all he can to learn. Do not feel bad about the accidents, just vow to watch him more closely.

Sure enough, the accidents stopped within the month. A lot of patience, supervision (crate training), and love... That is the gameplan that got my pup 100% trained. Just be consistent and I know that you and Cutie will be just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts