Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Robin and I picked up my female Maltese / Shih Tzu puppy today! She has a very calm and sweet temperament. When I brought her home, I let her sit on the floor with me and she kind of hid in a corner, I let her sit there and she fell asleep. I then picked her up and cuddled with her, and let my niece and nephew pet her and put her in their lap as well.

I have a few questions as she has been sleeping the whole time since I have gotten her (2.5 hours ago). She also has not eaten, drank or even gone to the bathroom yet so I wanted to make sure all this is normal. I also want to crate train her to sleep in the crate at night and have divided the crate less than half so she just has room to go in, turn around, stretch and lay down.

I really care about her and want to make sure that I take the necessary steps that me and her can have a strong lasting relationship and that I don't mistakenly give her power to become an alpha.

Any and all information would be greatly helpful!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It's probably a little early to know what her temperament is unless that is also what the breeder observed. More likely she is too scared to do anything being in a new environment and with new people. You might find as she becomes comfortable in your home that she becomes energetic and a little trouble maker as most puppies are.

Puppies sleep a lot so that is very normal. It's fairly normal for a dog to not want to eat or go potty for up to a day or two after coming to their new home. Give it 24 hours at least to settle in before you get too worried about pottying and eating.

Start putting treats in her crate so she associates it with a happy place to be. Put some puppy safe toys in there like a Kong with treats/peanut butter, an antler etc to keep her entertained for a little while. If you can get her going in voluntarily with treats you can start practicing a cue word such as "bed time" or "crate time" as she goes in so she will start to associate the words with the action.

No need to worry about her thinking she is alpha. Just concentrate on getting her used to her new home and setting up a routine, then you can start working on training her good dog manners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, by the way she is whining as I have her inside her crate. I will ignore it, but how do I know when she wants out to go to the bathroom?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Night One / Morning:

Bella was quite a handful last night, but I was adamant about not giving into her whining. I made one mistake before putting her in her crate, and that was that I did not give her a long and draining play time prior to bed.

She woke me up about 5 times, and it was tough but I did not give her any attention except to take her to her pee pad at about 3 am (she didn't go to the bathroom). I then put a clock beside her cage to give her the sense of a litter mates heartbeat and it bought me a good 3 hours straight of sleep.

In the morning, she had gone pee and pooh in her crate, and I now realize that I will feed her early (7 PM) and not after that so that she can go to the bathroom before bed and not excrete in her crate.

This morning I have started to crate train her, I put her in her crate (she's too small to walk in at the moment) and left her there for a few minutes. She started to whine, but I waited until she settled down a little and walked into the room, waited about 20 seconds and she started whining louder. I then left the room and repeated the process three times (over a 15 minutes span) and then brought her out to come downstairs for the first time. She was a little shy and just sat at my feet (where she is napping right now) if only she could nap like this at night :(.

Anyways, first night is over and I hope that the days to come will keep getting better!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
How old is she?
Young puppies should be fed at least 3 times a day. They need to be taken out to go potty every 2 hrs or so, and after waking, playing eating. At night you can probably get away with taking her out once or twice, if she's asleep. You'll have an easier time housebreaking if you take her out and don't use pee pads.

Get rid of the alpha/dominance worry. It's been proven to be a myth. Do not physically discipline her or try to alpha roll her on her back. If she is doing something wrong, simply interrupt her and show her what is right. For example, if she chews something she shouldn't, remove it, and give her one of her toys to chew. (And pick up shoes, and anything else, to puppy proof the home). If she has an accident inside, interrupt her, and take her out, giving her the "go potty" command. Reward with lots of praise and high value treats when she goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is 8 weeks old, she eats very little (it was noted that it is common among adjusting puppies). She is very small so I don't know if taking her out would be a good idea right now as it is quite cold weather here in Canada. And I never discipline her more than saying a firm "no" I try positive reinforcement by giving her lots of petting and love when she does something well.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
No is meaningless to a dog. At best you interrupt the behavior, but you're still not teaching her what you do want. And praise is nice, but most dogs aren't too motivated by praise, treats are a better place to start.

I highly recommend Ian dunbar's Before and After Getting Your Puppy. Also, check out clicker training on YouTube with kikopup. You will learn a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ty for the links!

I have an update for night 2 / day 3:

This night was much .. MUCH .. MUCHH better. I had a good 30 minute rigorous play session with her in front of her crate, I then followed the training tips and little by little edged her into her cage by putting treats and her favourite toy inside. She stayed in about 5 minutes and came out, and I repeated again and closed the door this time. She whined for about 5-10 minutes and then stopped. I slept a good 5 hours straight before letting her out to go bathroom (she went on her peepad :D) and then put her back in where she whined herself to sleep. In the morning she woke me up at 8 AM with the whining but I was exhausted and just kept sleeping, woke up at 10:30 she was sound asleep and I opened her pen, let her go pee and then brought her downstairs to eat and then we had a good 1 hour play session and right now she is asleep at my feet :).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts