Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! My name is Kelly. My husband, Barry, and I have a 3 month old beagle puppy named Abby.

She is the first inside dog either of us has ever had so this is all new to us!

Thanks, in advance, for all the advice you guys are about to give me. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Welcome to DF! Abby is adorable, it'll be fun watching her grow, so keep on adding the pictures :D There are many beagle owners here, so you'll be able to get great advice.

Enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Welcome to DF! It's always nice to meet another Beagle owner. Abby is so cute. I have two Beagles, 10 and 11 years old, both of whom have been with me since they were puppies. Believe me, you are in for an adventure! Go ahead and post all the questions you have... I would love to help in any way I can.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
I imagine the transition from a cat to a beagle pup is about as drastic as any change can be.

Many beagles get through life on looks and personality (which is more than many of us have) but they can be trained and I recommend it.

An important consideration with beagles is that they appear to be always hungry. People who give in to their begging antics end up with a fat nuisance, so be strong and firm. Contrary to some opinions I've read here, all beagles are not fat. I had one that was fit for all of his 14 years, though not for lack of trying. (He would actually dig radishes from our garden and eat them. Fortunately, radishes are, apparently, a low-fat snack.)

A beagle is the only specific breed I've actually ever sought out, and I sought him out with a vengeance when I was 12 years old. There is nothing as pesky as a 12-year-old who has his heart set on a beagle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I imagine the transition from a cat to a beagle pup is about as drastic as any change can be.

Many beagles get through life on looks and personality (which is more than many of us have) but they can be trained and I recommend it.

An important consideration with beagles is that they appear to be always hungry. People who give in to their begging antics end up with a fat nuisance, so be strong and firm. Contrary to some opinions I've read here, all beagles are not fat. I had one that was fit for all of his 14 years, though not for lack of trying. (He would actually dig radishes from our garden and eat them. Fortunately, radishes are, apparently, a low-fat snack.)

A beagle is the only specific breed I've actually ever sought out, and I sought him out with a vengeance when I was 12 years old. There is nothing as pesky as a 12-year-old who has his heart set on a beagle.
You are right, my cat (Oscar) is easy-going and loving all of the time. Abby, on the other hand, is a ball of energy! We are already working on training her and have some of the basics down pretty good; sit, stay, shake. I've been working with her on come, too, but it's harder because she is so easily distracted!

Many people have warned me about beagles being notorious eaters/beggers. However, Abby could almost care less about eating. We feed her Nutro's Ultra Puppy food 3 times a day (just over a 1/3 of a cup of food each time, according to the directions). And most times we end up throwing away half the food. Sometimes, she cleans the bowl though, too. I asked the Vet about it and he said as long as she looked and acted healthy and kept gaining weight I didn't need to worry about it...she'll eat when she's hungry. So, I've tried not to worry about it. :)

Thanks for the helpful information!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay, I'm trying again with posting pictures...

Okay, can you all SEE the pictures? To me they are just links, but when I previewed my post they were there just fine...help??

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi! My name is Kelly. My husband, Barry, and I have a 3 month old beagle puppy named Abby.

She is the first inside dog either of us has ever had so this is all new to us!

Thanks, in advance, for all the advice you guys are about to give me. :D
How can you not love that face!

She is a little darling.

Mike

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Many people have warned me about beagles being notorious eaters/beggers. However, Abby could almost care less about eating. We feed her Nutro's Ultra Puppy food 3 times a day (just over a 1/3 of a cup of food each time, according to the directions). And most times we end up throwing away half the food. Sometimes, she cleans the bowl though, too. I asked the Vet about it and he said as long as she looked and acted healthy and kept gaining weight I didn't need to worry about it...she'll eat when she's hungry. So, I've tried not to worry about it. :)
Trust me...this won't last. :D

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
With Beagles you need to watch their weight from the start... once they start getting pudgy, it's difficult to slim them down. I keep my senior girl on the lighter side of the appropriate weight range for this reason. They WILL eat till they burst, then eat somemore... so be careful to regulate her diet! Calories from treats should be taken out of her kibble meals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With Beagles you need to watch their weight from the start... once they start getting pudgy, it's difficult to slim them down. I keep my senior girl on the lighter side of the appropriate weight range for this reason. They WILL eat till they burst, then eat somemore... so be careful to regulate her diet! Calories from treats should be taken out of her kibble meals.
Oh, okay, I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks!

BTW - your beagles are beautiful - is there somewhere I can see more pictures of them?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I love Beagles. We had one when I lived at home and then anther one after I was married. They definitely get distracted by their nose which makes them more challenging to train. I saw a miniture Beagle Q in Master Gambers Agility this weekend. She is 12 inches at the shoulder, 13 years old and a real sweety. Her owners said they put alot of time into her training.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rosemaryninja - thank you for sharing those pictures - I love them!!!

123fraggle - Abby definitely has "nose" issues. She gets so distracted outside, and I get so frustrated with her! But, we're working through it, slowly but surely! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts