Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- This is a long post- sorry in advance:

while I am writing this I am under a considerable amount of stress, and looking for any kind of advice- or reassurance.

I have owned a wonderful rescue Jack Russell for the past year and a half. He's 2 1/2 years old now. He is wonderful. He is sweet, affectionate, and the love of my dog life. He sleeps on the bed and I have taught him all kinds of tricks. My life with him was going great. I noticed that when we were on walks he would always get VERY excited when we would see another dog and instantly want to play. He never showed signs of aggression- he would just be hyper and friendly. Additionally I have taken him to the dog park multiple times and he has never gotten into any fights and generally just runs around happily sniffing other dogs and often times rolling onto his back when approached.

because of his behavior towards other dogs I thought that he might enjoy a friend to play with. So recently I have adopted another dog. She is a three year old cattle dog mix- not sure what the mix is but she is only a little big bigger than the jack so she is pretty small... they had a meeting before I signed the adoption papers and they seemed to do well. Sniffing, tails wagging, and then a lot of ignoring and exploring their surroundings. There were a couple issues where the cattle dog female tried to mount the jack. He snapped at her a couple times and she retreated. We were told that this was normal and a good sign that she backed off and a fight didn't start. We were told that it was normal for them to have some tiffs and that we should step back and let these work themselves out.

Upon bringing our new friend home we gave the two dogs an introduction outside. I wanted to walk them to a park together but the newcomer has just been fixed and is currently recovering with a cone on her head and we have been advised to not give her a walk for about a week. They seemed fine outside- our jack russell was of course very excited. When we got inside the jack barked and showed some aggression what I thought seemed like territorial behavior. We have never had another dog in our house before. For the rest of that day they would have brief periods of circling and sniffing while wagging tails but then quite a few spats where the dogs would go at eachother- chasing and snapping and snarling. We fed the dogs in separate areas and they have their own bowls. We also provided a toy for the new dog (unfortunately the jack wanted to claim it as his)

In the evening we crated our new dog and she slept in our room quietly while our jack held his normal position on the bed.

Today is only the second day and so far it had seemed slightly better. In the morning the two dogs were getting along without much incident. THen later in the afternoon the Jack got territorial and possessive of me barking and snapping at the new dog when she would come close to me. Now this evening The new dog keeps trying to mount our jack aggressively and there have been a few little fights. We were told to let these fights work themselves out but sometimes it's more than just a snap it seems like it could be pretty bad. A firm no can break it up, which is what we have been doing because it doesn't seem right to just let it continue. On a couple of occassions where it seemed particularly bad we separated them to different areas of the house.

I know it has only been two days and am trying not to be overly concerned but I am now in tears, worried that I've made the wrong choice. What if my Jack did want to be an only dog? I am also devastated to think that this could possibly ruin our wonderful relationship. I still want him to sit on my lap, and sleep in bed with me. I still want him to feel very close to me and know that I am there for him. I am so scared that this is just going to stress him out and make him unhappy. I do not want to live in a household where the dogs are never going to be able to be left alone together. I don't want to constantly be breaking up fights. I feel like it is too early to say and they may end up becoming friends but just the thought of losing that special bond is upsetting me and making me extremely nervous. I was so excited to rescue another dog and save another life but now I am worried I've made the wrong decision. I would be so sad if they can never cuddle up together. If the fighting is continuous and does not stop I know that I will have to give up the new dog because I just can't keep my jack in that situation. Again- it has only been two days so I am trying to keep that in mind but it is hard to watch. Can anyone offer any of their own stories of introducing a new dog and say how it worked out? or offer any advice? I am in tears worried that my relationship with my jack is going to be torn apart and changed forever. I've developed such a special bond with him and was happy with our lives before. If this adds unhappyness instead of joy at having a new friend I will be devastated. I have never had experience having two dogs at once so I would really appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
First of all, time is the biggest factor. You can't possibly judge whats going to happen later on and how they are going to act when it has only been two days.
I am by no means an expert on this and a lot of people here have heaps more experience then me about matters like this. Some people never leave their two dogs together unsupervised. You can get crates if your that worried. Also lots of walks together helps. Start doing things with both dogs on neutral ground. If issues such as resource guarding and stuff pops up then I would be a little worried but everyone here can help you with that no problem. Dont worry :)
I had the same sort of crisis when I made the choice to get a 2nd dog.(havnt got it yet) I didnt know if I could love another dog the same. (sounds silly I know) But you will get plenty of reassurance here so dont stress too much :)
All you need to do is keep a cool calm head and both dogs will feel that your confident and sure about the situation. If your stressing they will feel this too and it will make them nervous.
Before you know it they will be best mates!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your response- like I said in my post I really appreciate anything. I really just need some reassurance right now. I want to be able to keep both dogs and I hope that they become good pals so that I can! I figured that time plays a big role I just got worried and needed some reassurance. It's hard, I've never dealt with two before. I hope I can be happy with two and they will learn to love each other. I mostly am worried about damage and monumental change to my relationship with my current dog.

One more update to this situation:

the dogs have taken to standing facing each other staring and growling. This seems like they aren't even trying to be friends.. they're just being aggressive...They also just got in another fairly bad spat- the Jack just came out of nowhere and they started in on each other after they'd be sitting in separate areas quietly.. is all this stuff normal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I appreciate it! Luckily my boyfriend is now helping me out a bit because I let him know that I was getting kind of stressed and anxious about the two dog thing. It helped me to calm down not dealing with the situation by myself. I'll be doing lots of reading and hopefully things will start getting better soon. I really hope so anyway because the new doggy is a real sweetie pie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts