Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rescued a dog about 2 years old from the shelter. I'm not sure, but she could be a toy Eskimo. She looks and acts exactly like one.

The problem is that I live in an apartment, with doors lined on a long hallway that is essentially outside (except for glass windows)- marble floor. It's cold and echoes. The door to the actual outside is cheaply made, bangs to shut and creaks, and 3 feet from my apartment door.

So, she barks. Like a high pitched howl. I've had her for about 2 months now, and I've gotten to the point that she almost never barks when I'm home, but when I'm not home she does. I know my neighbors are getting really angry with me, and I can't blame them.

When I'm coming home, outside the building, she will start howling before my feet even hit the steps (3 steps- I live on the first floor). She'll also be set off by any door opening or closing on the first floor, and people talking will echo down the hall and start her up. It's not excessive- I've been told it's for a short time, but I've been told people are starting to yell at her, which makes her yowl more.

What do I do? Should I buy a bark collar? I really don't want to do that, especially when the problem is when she's unsupervised. 2 months should have allowed her to adjust to the noises, but if it's just continued patience...I don't think my neighbors will hold out much longer.

I also already have another dog who is silent. I should also add that I live in a large one room apartment, so there are no other rooms to put her in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do not buy a bark collar. Please.

It sounds like she may have mild/moderate separation anxiety. It helps to identify other symptoms: Does she eat? does she seem nervous? any other destructive behavior? panting? etc... if its severe, you may need to consult a professional. But it doesn't sound that way so there is hope yet. There are a lot of resources on how to help your dog but here are some key points.

1) Desensitize her to your leaving cues. Basically, identify when she starts to react to you leaving. If its the moment you open the door, then start there. Open and close the door as if you are going to leave then come back and sit down. Do this 5 times a day, soon she will not associate the door to you leaving.

2) Counter condition her to your leaving cues. In addition to desensitization, treat her when you leave so she associates you leaving to delicious treats. In many cases, separation anxiety comes from you leaving, and not necessarily being alone. So if you can get your pup to be calm when you leave, and the first hour after, then the rest will take care of itself.

3) Slowly build up the time you are away. When she is not reacting to the door anymore, start desensitize her to you being out of the door. Start with 5 seconds and build from there. Always be gone short enough so she doesn't bark. IF she barks, wait until shes quiet, then come back in. And decrease the time next time.

4) EXERCISE and put her in a tired/calm state when you are about to leave. When you return, do not attend to her right away if she is excited. You do not want her to associate leaving and return cues with excitement.

5) Chew toys with stuffed goodies. e.g. Kong with frozen treats/peanut butter to keep her occupied. Give this to her 5 minutes before you leave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- I'll try those to see if it helps.

I don't think it has much to do with my leaving as much as just noises. She will still bark when I'm home if my neighbors opens their doors or chat in the hallway, although I can correct it quickly when I'm here. What if it's just that she reacts to noises?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts